Author Topic: Recipe Wanted: Shahi Keema Handi (EastZEast Restaurant chain)  (Read 8405 times)

Offline Mathmos_man

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hey

I've never seen this anywhere before on a menu and my wife raves about it. From the website its described as follows

"Handi is a traditional authentic style of cooking, all our Handi's are prepared with chef's special sauce (eek  :o) and onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and spices"

Shahi Keema - Fresh minced lamb with lentils and scrambled eggs

So - Anyone tried this and anyone have any pointers onto how to re-create it !!!

Math

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Wanted: Shahi Keema Handi (EastZEast Restaurant chain)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:31 PM »

So - Anyone tried this and anyone have any pointers onto how to re-create it !!!

It sounds like a de-constructed Shami kebab.    :)

Offline Mathmos_man

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 12:44 AM »

LOL I guess it is - with the some of the lentils turned into a dhal type gravy

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:26 AM »
How is it served? Are the main ingredients combined or separate in anyway?

I'd go with a bhuna style dish for the keema adding base as needed, a fairly dry tarka dal and scrambling the eggs with a little onion and green chili. Is that anywhere close?

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:26 PM »

I've never heard of it before, but..

A Handi, is a traditional Indian cooking pot and Shahi is a royal title I think comes from Persia. Keema is just mince.

So Royal Mince cooked in a Handi would be the literal translation of that dish.

There's plenty of recipes around for Keema and it's not uncommon for lentils to appear in meat dishes. The one thing I don't understand is where the scrambled eggs comes into any of this, I assume these are on the side and not part of the dish?

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 02:32 PM »

It does!

Shami/Sheek Kebabs tend to have lentils in them, I know some don't but most do, so that's probably where I'd start in trying to reconstruct this recipe - with a Sheek/Shami kebab recipe and compare that to a standard recipe for a Lamb Keema.

Offline Mathmos_man

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 11:57 PM »
How is it served? Are the main ingredients combined or separate in anyway?

I'd go with a bhuna style dish for the keema adding base as needed, a fairly dry tarka dal and scrambling the eggs with a little onion and green chili. Is that anywhere close?

It's served as a fairly dry curry with the lentils still whole. To me it looks like a wet mix of lentils scrambled egg and keema all bound together with a medium bhuna or Balti style sauce with some bits of bell pepper, onion and green chilli all in. It is all served in the same bowl and as I mentioned the egg is running through it the closest way I can describe it really finely shredded or as if the raw egg has been stirred into the sauce a little like the egg in egg fried rice maybe?

Hope that makes it a little clearer, ill try and get a photo next time we go!

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:54 AM »
Its an odd one but i want to eat it!  ;D

Cant find any other reference to it (or those combined ingredients) apart from the restaurant you've mentioned.
It does  sound South Indian though.  :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 11:09 AM »
I think you have answered your own question MM. Make a keema curry bhuna or balti style and add pre cooked lentils then whisk an egg and pour it in and stir through.

As Frank says, it does sound a little odd but I would be willing to give it a go. :)

Offline Mathmos_man

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:36 PM »
I think you have answered your own question MM. Make a keema curry bhuna or balti style and add pre cooked lentils then whisk an egg and pour it in and stir through.

As Frank says, it does sound a little odd but I would be willing to give it a go. :)

Like I said I'll try and get a photo and if I do end up trying ill post some pictures of my efforts

;D

Thanks for the support

Math

©2024 Curry Recipes