Author Topic: Yeastless naan bread nailed.  (Read 9883 times)

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Yeastless naan bread nailed.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 08:23 AM »
SPAM !

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 08:24 AM »
Am always interested in Naan recipes as I find them the most difficult to get right. If you would be so good as to share your recipe for a non-yeast Naan this would be much appreciated Chris.

Yes i will do Stephen once i have typed it up and videoed it.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:31 AM »
SPAM !

No it's a Naan bread mate  ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 12:20 PM »
SPAM !

Spam Naan. There's a thought!  ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 12:28 PM »
Spam Naan. There's a thought!  ;D

<----[shudders]

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Yeast less naan bread nailed.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 01:02 PM »
And seeing as Chris hasn't given a recipe for his 'nailed yeast-less' Naan bread, I will.

Ingredients:

450g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
55g softened butter
250ml warm milk

This quantity can be halved for half the number of Naan breads.

Method:

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Rub in the softened butter till it resembles breadcrumbs, add warm milk a little at a time and mix thoroughly.

Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes at least and cover with a damp cloth to rest for 20-30 minutes.

Pre-heat the grill on high for 5-10 minutes, divide the dough into about 8 equal portions and roll out to about 8 or 9 inches in diameter.

Grill naan's in batches for about 1.5 minutes each side and watch carefully as they will rise and puff up very quickly and will burn if you're not careful. Brush with melted butter or butter ghee.

Yeastless Naan breads - don't need to wait for Chris's ebook.

Looks OK this - you can also add some plain yoghurt - helps it along to rise very well indeed

best, Rich

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Yeast less naan bread nailed.
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Looks OK this - you can also add some plain yoghurt - helps it along to rise very well indeed

I agree the addition of yoghurt to the milk will help things along nicely and I have done that and suggest folks try a 50/50 yoghurt/milk combination and see how they like it.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Am always interested in Naan recipes as I find them the most difficult to get right. If you would be so good as to share your recipe for a non-yeast Naan this would be much appreciated Chris.

Yes i will do Stephen once i have typed it up and videoed it.

Look forward to it!

Offline Curryking32000

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 05:02 PM »
This nann looks a bit anaemic Chris, you'd get much better results if you use a Tava rather than the oven....if you don't have a tandoor that is.  We've bought a property in India and when my wife and I move in, in a few years time I'll buy a real tandoor.  Can't wait :-)

Offline fridgedoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 09:42 PM »
My proper Naan with a plate of Keema & Aubergine curry :)

Tandoor Naan on a Tawa

350g plain flour
200 ml lukewarm Milk
2 tbs oil
125 ml plain yoghurt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried yeast
? tsp salt
Butter

To a bowl add yeast, sugar and warm milk mix cover and let stand for 10 / 15 minutes now add yoghurt and mix and then add flour mix  a little then add salt,
the dough will be sticky if needed add a little flour and kneed for 10 minutes put a tbsp of oil in a bowl and smear around place dough in bowl, using your hand spread the other tbsp of oil over dough, place bowl in a plastic bag.
If you need dough within 2 hours place bowl in a warm place, if not place in fridge remember to remove from fridge 1 hour before needed. When needed pull off a piece of dough about the size of a lime using some flour roll into a ball then start to form to the shape you want with your fingers you can use a rolling pin but be gentle you don't want to push the bubbles out of it.
Cook in your tandoor or oven as you normally would or do as I do cook on a tawa then under a grill.

Sorry I've tried to delete/move as it's in the wrong place but cannot if anyone can assist please

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:59 PM by fridgedoc »

©2024 Curry Recipes