Author Topic: BIR Regional curry variations  (Read 7624 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: BIR Regional curry variations
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Crikey does everybody eat out of a carton? ::)

I agree Phil, as there are dishes on a menu, which are not sold as take out, which is why I posted the Salmon. photo taken in Restaurant.

Be pretty boring, which it is, if this forum was just about making Garabi and basic curries, over and over and over again.

I think it should be a step up, obviously because I'm involved in Restaurants, you get to know the difference between TA

A TA is much easier as there's no assembly or care in presentation, when the dish is aimed at a carton.

There's a huge amount of Cheffing skills, missing in your usual TA Chef, and when a restaurant is looking for
a new Curry Chef lots of TA cooks apply, but I've seen a lot fail to trade up and there's no second chance, as it's
the restaurants reputation at stake.

Keeping with Restaurant Fayre, here's another, Staff Curry (Murgh)

Bengali, Tyne and Wear

cheers Chewy

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 03:58 PM »
I think it might be better if the topic stuck to taken home dishes, what do you think?

I think that would be too limiting :  I use at most two restaurants for my T/A Indian fare, whilst I eat in probably five times that number if not more.

** Phil.

Phil / Chewy

I think thats fair enough fellas. I think it will also open our eyes to a lot more unusual dishes. I would still like to see the "usual fare" being posted as well just to see the regional variations ;)

Another great looking dish there Chewy!

W

Offline mikeyp

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 09:39 AM »
Can any of the Glasgow folks on here reccomend a good Indian down there, i am from Aberdeen and we have a lot of fab ones here(imo.)
I have eaten loads of times in Glasgow albeit mostly on Sauchiehall Street and the wee curry shop, and have found most of the curries taste the same, ie very very salty!!

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 10:06 PM »
@ CT, can't help but notice that the staff curry has  european bay leaves in  :o :o Wouldn't think they be particulary impressed with that  ::)

@ W, good topic.  Will add my local dishes whwn i next order.  Will be interesing to see the varations up and down the country :)

Offline mikeyp

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Good Idea Whandsy
I think you should, refine it a bit more and people should say what type of BIR or TA
their dish comes from i.e. Bengali or Pakistani/Punjabi, South Indan etc

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Good Idea Whandsy
I think you should, refine it a bit more and people should say what type of BIR or TA
their dish comes from i.e. Bengali or Pakistani/Punjabi, South Indan etc

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Crikey does everybody eat out of a carton? ::)

I agree Phil, as there are dishes on a menu, which are not sold as take out, which is why I posted the Salmon. photo taken in Restaurant.

Be pretty boring, which it is, if this forum was just about making Garabi and basic curries, over and over and over again.

I think it should be a step up, obviously because I'm involved in Restaurants, you get to know the difference between TA

A TA is much easier as there's no assembly or care in presentation, when the dish is aimed at a carton.

There's a huge amount of Cheffing skills, missing in your usual TA Chef, and when a restaurant is looking for
a new Curry Chef lots of TA cooks apply, but I've seen a lot fail to trade up and there's no second chance, as it's
the restaurants reputation at stake.

Keeping with Restaurant Fayre, here's another, Staff Curry (Murgh)

Bengali, Tyne and Wear

cheers Chewy

Any chance of the staff curry recipe chewy, it looks amazing.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 01:06 PM »
This is a veg Shingara starter I bought TA from the Mishti Desh in Birmingham.  You get 2 per portion, but they are kind of biggish, so just tried one so far.  Interesting appearance.  A bit like a Cornish pasty.

I sawed it in half to have a look inside.  Slightly over-enthusiastic with the dips it came with.  Very tasty samosa filling.  A nice change.

Rob  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes