Author Topic: So excited I found this place  (Read 10064 times)

Offline Simplysandy

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: So excited I found this place
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Hello in Dundee  :) from the back of beyond in south lanarkshire :)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 09:07 PM »
...so next question I need to stock up on everything anybody know anywhere?
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk

That's where I get a lot of mine from, good products, good service.

Offline Simplysandy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Thank you I found this site just before you said it, guess online shopping may be a must now :)

Offline Simplysandy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 09:28 PM »
Some questions if you don't mind, best base sauce? Best and favourite curry recipes? Best accompaniments?

Offline Alchemist

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 09:43 PM »
I can't report  :( I'm leaving it till tomorrow, it's now to late I had to do a ridiculous trip to collect my car! Went to tesco's and guess what? No spices that I needed and they don't sell ginger? Grrrrrr I will scour the land for methi leaves I need an Asian supermarket, so next question I need to stock up on everything anybody know anywhere? I live in the hills above abington Scotland if anybody knows it :)

I've not ordered any from here as we have an excellent Asian supermarket here in Huddersfield, but the Curry Guy does a range of mail order spices:
http://www.greatcurryrecipes.net/2012/09/20/the-curry-guy-smoked-spices-are-available-online-from-24-september-2012/

Offline Simplysandy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 09:52 PM »
Thanks for that, having found 1 in Edinburgh now ill do the long lovely drive tomorrow (to impatient) :)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 11:41 PM »
Some questions if you don't mind, best base sauce? Best and favourite curry recipes? Best accompaniments?

You'll start World War 3 if you go around asking questions like that on here ;)

What is considered best is very much subjective and down to the individual really and the subject of much discussion and debate.

What is a good one to start with? Well, I'd highly recommend Cory Ander's suite of base sauce, mix powder and dish recipes that go with it as a very good place to start. The recipe's are well written, very clearly explained and relatively easy to make with the added bonus that you can try a variety of different dishes using the same base and mix powder.

From there the world's your oyster, but I do advise that whatever base sauce you choose, you use the mix powder that goes with it otherwise results can be unpredictable.

I'd also highly recommend Blade's Chicken Tikka marinade which, whilst being a bit finicky to make with quite a lot of ingredients will produce results pretty much identical to that which you'd get in a restaurant.

You've opened a Pandora's box of treats - it's hard to know where to start!

Enjoy your journey.

Offline Simplysandy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 11:51 PM »
Dare I say it's sounding like the the dreadful book 50 shades of grey? Lol I'm loving this site, it is fraught with spicy fights, isn't that what a spicy site should be?   

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 12:06 AM »
Dare I say it's sounding like the the dreadful book 50 shades of grey? Lol I'm loving this site, it is fraught with spicy fights, isn't that what a spicy site should be?

I'm afraid I can't comment on 50 shades as I've not read that book and have avoided it like the plague, I'm not really into 'populist' books really. I am however an avid reader and read a very wide variety of books and am currently reading two excellent books by Niall Ferguson - The Ascent of Money and Empire, both highly recommended.

I hope you're not using the first part of my username to suggest I am the main cause of these fights ;)

But yes, healthy but passionate debate and discussion stimulates progress and knowledge, it's just a shame so many sensitive souls interpret that as something more sinister.

My instinct tells me you'll fit in here quite well, you appear to possess that wild eyed, mad as a box of frogs type attitude you need to survive!

Offline Simplysandy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 12:30 AM »
Mad as a box of frogs should of been my catch line. I will fit in no doubt, I love Spicy food and a passion to cook and get it right! I also love my land rover, is that wrong? No :)

©2024 Curry Recipes