Author Topic: I'm new here, but can source the best meat  (Read 6205 times)

Offline Simplysandy

• Chef
    • View Profile
I'm new here, but can source the best meat
« on: May 10, 2013, 11:09 PM »
The ingredients and quality are key I believe, just my opinion but having found this in the last few months I feel like an expert on such things. The taste you get from supermarket meat is nothing, in comparison to it straight off the hill and hung. I have a theory just mine of course, supermarket meats are inferior (by far) and they cost more by the kg etc etc. so quality over quantity is a thing you can do, if you see beyond your supermarket. Never be scared to source your ingredients, from one who has learnt this :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: I'm new here, but can source the best meat
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 11:15 PM »
A heartfelt post and one I agree with, but lost on a curry community I am afeared. Curry generally or at least BIR, does not allow for delicate meat to take the stage. That is not to say that Indian influence can not be applied to good meat, just not to standard BIR fare, if you get my meaning. ;)

Offline Simplysandy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:28 PM »
Well after cooking this lovely meat today, in all the spices it only added to the taste. One compliments the other perfectly, when done in the right way (as on here) :)
There are many ways to enjoy the tastes of everything, I have to say lamb is a meat that can only get to perfection with added ingredients that compliment it.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 11:32 PM »
A heartfelt post and one I agree with, but lost on a curry community I am afeared. Curry generally or at least BIR, does not allow for delicate meat to take the stage. That is not to say that Indian influence can not be applied to good meat, just not to standard BIR fare, if you get my meaning. ;)

Not convinced, Malc.  One reason why supermarket curries are so uniformly awful is the fact that they appear to use water-injected battery hens.  I use only free-range hens, and the improvement in quality from that one thing alone is very marked.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 11:43 PM »
Phil, I didn't mention supermarkets, just your regular BIR/TA I am sure there are exceptions.  ???

Offline Simplysandy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 11:44 PM »
Good quality meat is not available in supermarkets, even when they say "it's the best"
They are not in it for the quality or taste , just the profit! I am new on here with your wonderful insight into curries and especially our wonderful BIR curries. I owned a restaurant for many years, a bloody hard job. I know quality from quantity so not new on that score, I know what I love and like and love your spices but live my raw ingredients ;-)
Oh and just so you understand I live on a farm, but I'm not the farmer :) he lives next door!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 11:49 PM »
Phil, I didn't mention supermarkets, just your regular BIR/TA I am sure there are exceptions.  ???

No, I was responding to your "Curry generally or at least BIR, does not allow for delicate meat to take the stage. That is not to say that Indian influence can not be applied to good meat, just not to standard BIR fare".  My point is that BIR curries /do/ "allow for delicate meat to take the stage", and that poor quality meat can only lead to poor quality curries.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 11:51 PM »
I owned a restaurant for many years...
Oh and just so you understand I live on a farm, but I'm not the farmer :) he lives next door!

What sort of restaurant did you own? I love food of all types and always looking to learn more. I am fortunate to a have good supply of Sussex Lamb, what kind of farm are you on?

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 11:52 PM »
A heartfelt post and one I agree with, but lost on a curry community I am afeared.

I agree, but I'm not going to add any more to that in case my bluntness offends some of the more sensitive natured souls that inhabit this forum.

Curry generally or at least BIR, does not allow for delicate meat to take the stage. That is not to say that Indian influence can not be applied to good meat, just not to standard BIR fare, if you get my meaning.

But I don't necessarily agree with this.

Good quality ingredients will only ever make a dish better, that many of us produce equal or better dishes to our local TA is (in my opinion) very much down to the fact that most of us enthusiastic home curry cooks take care about the quality of ingredients we use. Which cannot be said for your average local TA who will nearly always use the cheapest acceptable ingredients and streamlined processes.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 11:58 PM »
But I don't necessarily agree with this.ses.

Can I ask you to re-read my comment, I think you'll find we are on the same track. ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes