Author Topic: Hearsay, but local standards may well be dropping  (Read 14312 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Hearsay, but local standards may well be dropping
« on: May 10, 2013, 11:30 PM »
I will refrain from naming the restaurant concerned, but on visiting a friend today she told me of a recent very disturbing experience in a local restaurant which, when I first visited it, was amongst the best I had ever tried. She invited a friend out for an Indian meal, and both chose Chicken Tikka Masala.  When Trish's arrived, she thought it was not properly cooked, as it was barely warm; she looked at her friend, and saw that she too thought there was something wrong.  Not wanting to create a fuss, they ate their meals, but when the time came to pay they told the waiter that their meals had been only warm at best, and the waiter replied "Sorry, we didn't know how long to microwave them for".  Unfortunately the owner was not on duty that night, but Trish will be taking it up with him when she next sees him.

** Phil.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hearsay, but local standards may well be dropping
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 02:06 AM »
Right, so, I suggest 3 minutes full on at 800w, 2:50 on above 800w

::)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 12:15 PM »
I have a restaurant near me that was refurbished with an open view kitchen and with a very much modern take / new style Indian feel about it. The menu also includes many thing not usually found on a BIR menu. The old favourites are still available but this makes the menu quite sizable.

The problem with having such a large menu is much of it will have to be pre-cooked in order to be able to serve it when busy. This is quite a large restaurant too and despite it's fairly large open kitchen, sadly, you can clearly see dishes being microwaved!

Of course it begs the question as to why they have an open view kitchen when they are clearly microwaving dishes. How many I do not know but I never go there anymore.

:-\

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:51 AM »
Just seem this thread.  Last year I got chatting about food quality in general with a restaurant owner whist waiting for a takeaway.  He told me that occasionally he and his staff go out to different places for a curry, mainly to check out the competition, menus, prices, etc.  He told me that once they went to a rather well known restaurant (part of a chain) and weren't at all happy with their meal.  On this occasion they all had a dhansak,not warn enough and too salty.  They asked to have a word with the chef and requested that their curries be made again. "No can do" replied the chef, and suggested they order another dish.  The guys explained they were in the trade themselves and wondered what the big deal was about knocking up a few more curries.  The chef explained that all the mains were brought in ready-made (in portions) from a large hub in another city, and just re-heated in the micro.  So if they had another dhansak it would be just the same. All they did in the kitchen was the tandoori cooking.  I said to the owner he was winding me up.  He smiled and suggested I keep an eye out for the large van arriving in the restaurant's car-park, and the crates being unloaded, marked korma, bhuna, Jalfrezi, and so on.

Rob  :D 

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Oh.  That could explain a great deal.  Anyhow, having recently spent over GBP 60-00 on an Indian meal for two recently at a widely-recommended restaurant in Tudely, I had a take-away for one last night from a take-away in Coxheath.  I ordered a lamb dhansak and and a keema naan, and the waiter kindly reminded me that the dhansak automatically came with a pulao rice.  The total was less than GBP 10-00, I received a complimentary popadum and onion salad, and of the two recent meals, the T/A from Coxheath represented far better value and arguably higher quality cuisine.  It offers a "super Wednesday" special this evening for GBP 10-00 (starter, main course, rice or naan and side dish) and I shall definitely be trying this out.

** Phil.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Noticed that myself Phil.  Hefty price tags don't always correspond with food quality or value for money.  Enjoyed a lunch last week at a smart Bangladeshi cafe/restaurant in Small Heath Birmingham though.  Waiter served lamb samosa, with a fine salad including black olives.  Lovely freshly made samosa with delicious spicing.  Much bigger than I'm used to, so one was enough for me.  Served with chilli sauce, mint dip, fresh green chilli and a glass of iced water.  Came to pay up.  The bill was 85 p.  I'll be going back there!

Rob  :)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 05:00 PM »
Hi

Bb, please name and share.

Regards

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Hi

Bb, please name and share.

Regards

Nah.  You have to be careful what you write on public forums when big names are involved.  They can slap libel suits rapid.  Anyway, it's pure hearsay. I didn't believe a word of it.

Rob  :-X

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 08:37 PM »
...The chef explained that all the mains were brought in ready-made (in portions) from a large hub in another city, and just re-heated in the micro...

Sounds like a shocker to me, Bob!  :o

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Hi

Bb, I was referring to the cafe in small heath

Regards

©2024 Curry Recipes