Author Topic: Hearsay, but local standards may well be dropping  (Read 14316 times)

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hearsay, but local standards may well be dropping
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 01:11 PM »
I was surprised to see 3 large tubs containing large olives in different oils in the local indian wholesalers. Must be becoming more prevelant in BIR cuisine!

Barry

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 01:47 PM »
Challenge accepted.  I am willing to wager 1 pounds stirling, for photographic evidence of the olives, including the bill, tomorrow.

Rob, I wasn't questioning the veracity of your statement I was bemoaning the use of black olives in any form of BIR cuisine.  ;)

Not sure where the olives came from.  The waiter might have picked a few up for me from the salad bar they have.  Also do a Russian salad apparently.  Defo a proper BIR place this though.  Full range of dishes and a lot more. Going over tomorrow for lunch.  Can't make up my mind what to have.  Fancy the Bangladeshi fish dishes, but the Friday buffet menu is also looking mighty tempting:

http://mishtidesh.co.uk/menu/bangladeshispecialfishdishes.html

http://mishtidesh.co.uk/buffet.html

Rob  :P

Nice Menu, I wish I could pay them prices and get them dishes here!

I only have one problem with that menu.  I hope the garabi (gravy but I can't pronounce it) lovers don't start calling a dessert a dessart! :D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 02:03 PM »
I only have one problem with that menu.  I hope the garabi (gravy but I can't pronounce it) lovers don't start calling a dessert a dessart! :D

But that is pure ART, Will, you must admit !
** Phil.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 02:06 PM »
dessArt indeed, I could eat them all :P

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 03:47 PM »
I hope the garabi (gravy but I can't pronounce it) lovers don't start calling a dessert a dessart! :D

You have just reminded me of something, Will, apropos of "garabi".  Someone (Frank, I think, a.k.a. Dal Puri) wrote earlier that he was unhappy with our use of "garabi" rather than "gravy" or just "curry sauce", because (I am quoting without referring back, so may not make his point quite as he intended), for an Englishman to say "garabi" is both patronising and racist (Frank, please correct me if I am unintentionally mis-representing your position). 

Well, I have just returned from three days in Japan, where a larger number of English words have been partially or fully assimilated into the language.  But Japanese phonology does not allow a syllable to end in a consonant or consonant cluster, so wherever an English word so ends, the Japanese append an "u", whence "milku", "cashu", "cardu", "beeru", etc.  And what became quite clear during our time there is that communication is greatly facilitated if we native English speakers also append the "u", and similarly say "milku", "cashu", "cardu", "beeru", etc.  Omit the "u" sound, and the Japanese (in general, not all : some speak perfect English) have difficulty in identifying the word; append the "u" and communication is greatly enhanced.

So, whilst not identical to "gravy" / "garabi", I do think that the situations are sufficiently similar to confirm my belief that to adopt a non-native speaker's pronunciation of an English word is neither patronising nor racist (unless specifically intended so to be); rather, it can be (and often is) an accommodation to facilitate communication with non-native speakers.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:09 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 04:14 PM »
Quote from: Phil [Chaa006
the Japanese append an "u", whence "milku", "cashu", "cardu", "beeru", etc.

That could cause a ruckus if they try to use the word f**k!   :o ;D

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 06:35 PM »
Quote from: Phil [Chaa006
the Japanese append an "u", whence "milku", "cashu", "cardu", "beeru", etc.

That could cause a ruckus if they try to use the word f**k!   :o ;D

I couldn't of put it better myself... ;D ;)
I do think Phil's trying to set us up here! (;-))

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 07:47 PM »

Definitely not : the four words I cited (milku, beeru, cashu, cardu) are in everyday use in Japan, as are many other adopted English words to which a final "u"-sound is appended ("pantsu", ="underwear", comes to mind).

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 08:59 PM »

Definitely not : the four words I cited (milku, beeru, cashu, cardu) are in everyday use in Japan, as are many other adopted English words to which a final "u"-sound is appended ("pantsu", ="underwear", comes to mind).

Phil, we get it old chap ( in fact you're telling me nothing I don't already know). I just went off on an anglo-saxon tangent.  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes