Author Topic: Chicken Tenderloins  (Read 5080 times)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Tenderloins
« on: May 12, 2013, 12:30 AM »
For those that dice/chop chicken breast fillets for their curries, do you use the tenderloins as well?  If so do you leave the tendon in?

I normally try to remove the tendon, albeit not very effectively and it normally leaves a thin, stringy, unappetising piece of chicken.  Never sure whether to use or not.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tenderloins
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:11 AM »
I don't actually know what/where the tenderloins are !  Can you describe them in terms of appearance and avian anatomy ?  I suppose that the short answer must be "yes", since I try never to waste any edible part of a food animal on ethical grounds, but if I am buying chicken solely for curries then I will frequently buy free-range breasts rather than a whole bird.  In fact, what I buy is often dictated by what is on special offer or being remaindered, but in general the thighs and legs end up in Chinese food whilst the breasts go into curries.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:47 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:46 AM »
When i was dicing chicken breast i would remove the tenderloin and just cut it in half. Now i cook the breast whole so just leave it on.

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Hi the tenderloin is a small finger shaped fillet underneath the breast if you turn it over. I just remove this and cut it in half along with the rest of the breast

Ed

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Thank you, Ed.  I really must pay more attention next time -- the existence of this mysterious beast was completely unknown to me.

** Phil.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 11:57 AM »
@Phil:-The tenderloin usually has a white tendon running through it, which I find a little off-putting hence my attempt at removing it.

It seems the guys here just leave the tendon in; is that correct?  I typically end up with an ugly mess when I try to remove it, compared to the relatively uniformed diced breast.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 12:37 PM »
I don't usually worry about the tendon and like others, cut it in half if I can't keep it on the breast. This guy makes it look relatively easy though:

http://youtu.be/Rd2sVqQUdRY

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 12:45 PM »
Odd.  I've never even noticed the tendon, either when preparing or when eating.  I can't help feeling that leaving it in is by far the simplest solution, although I will try to identify and remove it next time I prepare some breast.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 12:57 PM »
I wouldn't worry Phil, when was the last time you noticed when eating? I can't say i've ever noticed it in a cooked breast.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 02:25 PM »
I usually just cut the tendon end off the goujon and leave the rest in which is never noticeable when cooked

Barry

©2024 Curry Recipes