Author Topic: Why so much oil?  (Read 17486 times)

Offline Simplysandy

• Chef
    • View Profile
Why so much oil?
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Having been here a few days now, and looked over a lot of the questions. I may have missed it if anyone else asked it before in sorry, in adavancev ;D
Why is there so much oil in the base gravy?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Why so much oil?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:28 PM »

There is not much oil in some bases, and a great deal in others.  In general, those that contain a lot of oil require less oil when cooking the final dish.

** Phil.

Offline Simplysandy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 05:21 PM »
Thanks for that,   as I hardly put any in mine.  ;D

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 10:03 PM »

It's a very good question.

In my opinion it's because oil is the primary flavour carrier for spice essential oils to dissolve into. Not much point putting spices into a base sauce if there's no carrier for them or anything for them to dissolve into.

This is why (in my opinion) BIR style curry nearly always uses a lot of oil and why the resultant takeaway dishes are often swimming in it.

BIR style cookery and dishes aren't exactly the the most healthy out there. But it's because of all that oil the dishes taste so yummy!

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:08 PM »

In my opinion it's because oil is the primary flavour carrier for spice essential oils to dissolve into. Not much point putting spices into a base sauce if there's no carrier for them or anything for them to dissolve into.

This is why (in my opinion) BIR style curry nearly always uses a lot of oil and why the resultant takeaway dishes are often swimming in it.

BIR style cookery and dishes aren't exactly the the most healthy out there. But it's because of all that oil the dishes taste so yummy!

Rubbish

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 10:37 PM »

Rubbish

;D I'll just go get my popcorn!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 10:57 PM »
Rubbish

Would that be "All four of your statements are rubbish", or is it just one of them with which you disagree Chris, and if the latter, which ?

** Phil.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 11:03 PM »
Rubbish

Would that be "All four of your statements are rubbish", or is it just one of them with which you disagree Chris, and if the latter, which ?

** Phil.

Make yourself clear Phil !

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 11:03 PM »
;D I'll just go get my popcorn!
;D
I'm struggling to disagree with what spicey has said, which is rare I know but.............

Seconds out, round one   ::)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 11:10 PM »

Don't confuse him, he's confused enough.

©2024 Curry Recipes