Author Topic: Coriander stalk  (Read 2818 times)

Offline sandpiper

• Chef
    • View Profile
Coriander stalk
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:38 PM »
Can anyone help me with this one please.

My local BIR puts some finely chopped stalks in the finished curry,they taste the same
as coriander but on closer inspection the stalk is ridged like celery.I can't find any
fresh coriander that looks like it and wasn't sure if it's actually another fresh herb they
are using or is just a different type of coriander.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Coriander stalk
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 02:46 PM »

My local BIR puts some finely chopped stalks in the finished curry,they taste the same
as coriander but on closer inspection the stalk is ridged like celery.I can't find any
fresh coriander that looks like it and wasn't sure if it's actually another fresh herb they
are using or is just a different type of coriander.

Probably best just to ask them,   ;)  but if it tastes like coriander then it most likely is.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:57 PM »

as coriander but on closer inspection the stalk is ridged like celery.

If it's ridged like celery, it could be ground elder !  Could save them a fortune if they offered to collect it for free from all infected gardens ...

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:19 AM »
It will be coriander but from a more mature plant. The coriander growing coriander you might buy in the supermarket is nowhere near developed so you'll never see this. The coriander your BIR is buying will be much more developed with much thicker stalks. Towards the bulb the stalks can look as you describe.

Offline sandpiper

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:40 PM »
It will be coriander but from a more mature plant. The coriander growing coriander you might buy in the supermarket is nowhere near developed so you'll never see this. The coriander your BIR is buying will be much more developed with much thicker stalks. Towards the bulb the stalks can look as you describe.

Thanks - probably is then - just can't fathom out why their curries taste so good.Still trying to find that elusive ingredient or secret technique so I can replicate it,been very close but still missing something.

©2024 Curry Recipes