Author Topic: How to Make a Staff Curry  (Read 82458 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How to Make a Staff Curry
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 12:10 PM »
Well Phil I treated myself to a lamb bhuna masala last night from my excellent local TA and it was light years away from anything I've cooked using a base sauce.

I don't post or intend to post much anymore here as I suppose I'm a BIR failure.
But at least I'm enjoying my cooking and eating more than I used to.

Cheers

Paul

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2013, 12:23 PM »
Well Phil I treated myself to a lamb bhuna masala last night from my excellent local TA and it was light years away from anything I've cooked using a base sauce.

Interesting.  I assume that it was better than anything you have cooked using a base sauce (rather than worse), and this I would expect if it was authentic, since for me a bhuna does not involve a base sauce at all.  But I am intrigued by the description :  what is the significance of the "masala" at the end of the name ?  We all know what masala means by now, but what does it mean in this context and how would a lamb bhuna masala differ from a lamb bhuna ?

I don't post or intend to post much anymore here as I suppose I'm a BIR failure.  But at least I'm enjoying my cooking and eating more than I used to.

That would be a great shame :  we should not have tunnel vision when it comes to Indian cuisine (or anything else, for that matter) and if you are producing great traditional Indian dishes than I am sure that many of us would like to be able to share in your recipes and experience.

** Phil.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2013, 12:31 PM »
I wonder how many more of us are starting to become disillusioned about BIR when it comes to home cooking, and are starting to re-discover Indian cuisine's traditional roots ?

** Phil.

Good question Phil, but would they admit it after so many years trying to make the ultimate BIR base sauce. Doubt it very much, that's like saying that you failed. I admit that I failed only because of the very high standard of my local BIR which I could never match in a 100 years lol. mine where good but a long way off what I wanted

Les

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2013, 12:33 PM »
I would take little notice of the dish title "lamb bhuna masala" Phil and I imagine it was cooked with a base sauce. My TA is Nepalese and their food all carries a "signature" taste. Very nice indeed.

Good luck anyway in your cooking, BIR or otherwise.

Cheers

Paul

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2013, 01:40 PM »
another great vid Ty Chris mate i shall be having ago at that dish looks yummy ( Ivan ) :)

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013, 02:16 PM »
Hi Chris

What is your preference to either skin on or skin off, also I suppose thighs or quarters would also work?

Ed

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2013, 02:38 PM »
another great vid Ty Chris mate i shall be having ago at that dish looks yummy ( Ivan ) :)
have a go mate it is Yummy very.

Hi Chris

What is your preference to either skin on or skin off, also I suppose thighs or quarters would also work?

Ed

Skin on lots more flavor, you can always remove the skin once cooked. Any part of the chicken can be used. For me there is more flavor in the wings or leg meat.

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2013, 04:32 PM »
I'm knocking this up tonight Chris, using the mix powder you gave me when I visited your home  :)
I really enjoy this type of slow cooking, along with a supply of cold beers and Planet Rock on the Dab I'll be in curry heaven  8)

Cheers Pal, hope you are well.

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Hi Chris is this your mixed powder for this recipe?

Ed

2 Tbsp curry powder (mild madras)
2 Tbsp corriander powder.
2 Tbsp turmeric powder.
1 Tbsp paprika powder.
1 Tbsp cumin powder.
1 Tsp chilli powder.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2013, 05:07 PM »
I'm knocking this up tonight Chris, using the mix powder you gave me when I visited your home  :)
I really enjoy this type of slow cooking, along with a supply of cold beers and Planet Rock on the Dab I'll be in curry heaven  8)

Cheers Pal, hope you are well.

You're in for a good night Ken. ;-)

Hi Chris is this your mixed powder for this recipe?

Ed

2 Tbsp curry powder (mild madras)
2 Tbsp corriander powder.
2 Tbsp turmeric powder.
1 Tbsp paprika powder.
1 Tbsp cumin powder.
1 Tsp chilli powder.

That will work well for this curry Ed  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes