Author Topic: How to Make a Staff Curry  (Read 81827 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How to Make a Staff Curry
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 11:24 AM »
mayonnaise in 20 seconds  :P

There's a faster way than that :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jcF_fIW3k&feature=youtu.be

** Phil.

Oh Phil, and to think you dressed me down for having pre-made mustard! Hellmann's has been banned in our house, it's awful stuff! Mind you, we still have pre-made mayo but by Heinz. The wife was appalled by my choice and said she preferred Hellmann's and would happily do a blind fold taste test to prove this. Well you can imagine her surprise when she learned she had actually picked the Heinz mayo instead as a her preference! :P

Chris i'll happily give it a go and to spec but you'll need to let me know what the mix powder recipe is. Otherwise i'll have to use the IG Mix Powder which is my preferred mix powder, but that obviously won't be to spec. :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 11:35 AM »
Oh Phil, and to think you dressed me down for having pre-made mustard! Hellmann's has been banned in our house, it's awful stuff! Mind you, we still have pre-made mayo but by Heinz. The wife was appalled by my choice and said she preferred Hellmann's and would happily do a blind fold taste test to prove this. Well you can imagine her surprise when she learned she had actually picked the Heinz mayo instead as a her preference! :P
Well, the only r

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 11:50 AM »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 12:29 PM »
Got ya again ol' boy  ;) But the best egg mayo is actually made with salad cream and is best enjoyed with a slightly warm egg with a nearly set yoke.  :)

Argh, salad cream : Britain's contribution to the world of haute cuisine !  Addly enough, I was in northern France recently, and we called in at a British-run B&B in Auchun Villers; as our guide is a regular visitor to that part of France, the lady-owner asked if he could bring back some supplies on his next trip : catering-sized tins of baked beans, and salad cream.  Is this /really/ what the British like to eat when they are in France, I was forced to ask ...

** Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Got ya again ol' boy  ;) But the best egg mayo is actually made with salad cream and is best enjoyed with a slightly warm egg with a nearly set yoke.  :)

OI!!!!!!!!!!! I was just about to say that you bugger!  ;D ;D

And the same went for KFC sweetcorn 30 years ago. That was special because it was made with Salad Cream too.  ;)
(before they introduced corn on the cob)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 01:10 AM »
If anyone makes this curry i would love your feedback. If you make it to spec!

You didn't supply any SPEC AFAICT, so it's going to be quite hard for anyone to do it "to spec"

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 08:55 AM »

You didn't supply any SPEC AFAICT, so it's going to be quite hard for anyone to do it "to spec"

I thought there was enough info in the video to make it apart from the spice mix but Chris does cover the alternatives.
If all goes to plan, I'll try this at work tomorrow night and report back. If not it'll be Sunday.

When me and the missus were first married and skint (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away), our staple curry was onions fried, Pataks madras paste, tin of chopped tomatoes, some coconut block and most importantly the tray of 15 chicken wings for 99p from Morrisons. I still say chicken curries are better with skin on and bone in with the fat and flavour from the chicken. MMMmmmmmm

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 10:54 AM »
Thanks for posting this Chris. I must admit these days I've given up cooking curries with a base sauce and use this method exclusively.
By that I mean frying whole spices, then onions g/g paste etc. The only BIR items I still use are mix powder and ready prepared g/g paste.

I never really managed to nail the taste using base sauces but I'm happy to make and eat curries in this more traditional style.

Paul

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 11:29 AM »
Thanks for posting this Chris. I must admit these days I've given up cooking curries with a base sauce and use this method exclusively.
By that I mean frying whole spices, then onions g/g paste etc. The only BIR items I still use are mix powder and ready prepared g/g paste.

I never really managed to nail the taste using base sauces but I'm happy to make and eat curries in this more traditional style.

Paul

I hear you Paul, I do the same as you now, Can't be bothered with all this faffin around with making base sauce anymore, But still use Abduls spice mix. and G/G paste. I buy 2 jars from Morrisons one ginger and one Garlic (own brand) and just mix them together when I need it, works for me

Les

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2013, 12:00 PM »
I hear you Paul, I do the same as you now, Can't be bothered with all this faffin around with making base sauce anymore, But still use Abduls spice mix. and G/G paste. I buy 2 jars from Morrisons one ginger and one Garlic (own brand) and just mix them together when I need it, works for me
This is interesting :  are we starting to see the beginning of the end for BIR cuisine among the cognoscenti My most recent home-made curry was very traditional, you and Paul are now reporting that you have virtually given up cooking BIR; I wonder how many more of us are starting to become disillusioned about BIR when it comes to home cooking, and are starting to re-discover Indian cuisine's traditional roots ?

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes