Author Topic: Ami's Curry  (Read 15498 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Ami's Curry
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:20 PM »
This was the Kashmiri/Skipton girl featured on Curry Nation cooking the fish and meat curries.

http://www.amaali.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amis-Curry/322261094524780

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ami's Curry
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 11:09 PM »
Interesting, she sells garam masala, bassar and chaat and I suppose this is all freshly ground and probably worth a look. I'm going to send an email and ask about whether she ships to Ireland

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Nice! I like the kashmiri cuisine very much, the mild, aromatic spices, and the use of yogurt. Sadly, never found a source for 'kashmiri spice cakes' (Ver or veri masala), but will make these on my own soon. Never heard of Bas(s)aar before, but it seems that it's used by pakistanis too. Interesting stuff, will take a read about that (: Anyone used this one before, or made his own mix?

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Nice! I like the kashmiri cuisine very much, the mild, aromatic spices, and the use of yogurt. Sadly, never found a source for 'kashmiri spice cakes' (Ver or veri masala), but will make these on my own soon. Never heard of Bas(s)aar before, but it seems that it's used by pakistanis too. Interesting stuff, will take a read about that (: Anyone used this one before, or made his own mix?

Julian recommends and uses it in the c2g mix powder. I used it before and it taints the flavour of the curry in a naughty way. I didn't like it at all, but some people do. I was actually over-eager to get rid of the bag of bassar, as after the mix powder I had no other use for it.

You can see the composition of it here:
http://www.cookipedia.co.uk/recipes_wiki/Pakistani_basar

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 03:00 PM »

http://www.shehjar.com/content/46/1.html
You can keep your spicy cakes Chonk!  :o  :P  Not for me!  And yes, I use Bassar and love it!  8)

Circa 1948
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:49 PM by DalPuri »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 04:07 PM »
And yes, I use Bassar and love it!  8)

And so do I.  In fact, I would swear that it was when I decided not to use Bassar curry masala for a while that my curries took a down-turn; I think it is time to return to the Bassar fold, for me at least.

(Simple test of BCM : make two portions of Kris Dhillon's chicken Madras; in one, use ground chillies as specified; in the other, use Bassar curry masala as a direct substitute; see which you prefer).

** Phil.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 07:49 PM »
Thanks for the opinions, guys! (and the vintage ad ;D)

Will try to find some good recipe and make my own. Seems that these are not easily available in germany. Maybe I will order some overseas, thought about to invest in some tadka pan anyway.

Thanks again (:

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:20 AM »
I got a response from Amaali, she's going to enquire the ports for shipping it to ireland and I'm buying a package of each. I shall review them here when I get to try them.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 03:57 PM »
Gon

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Nice one Goncalo, I hope they work out for you. Tailor-made masalas eh.  ;D