Author Topic: Ami's Curry  (Read 15384 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ami's Curry
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 02:00 PM »
Hi Chonk!

I have never used chaat before. I've used bassar and east end garam masala. Got any advice on what dishes to use chaat with? :)

Aloo chat and chicken chat are two classics, but some also advocate its use in a manner analogous to that of garam masala -- a small pinch sprinkled raw over a dish at the point of service.

** Phil.

Thanks Phil. I've heard about aloo chat, but never had myself. What constitutes a BIR aloo chat?

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 02:41 PM »
Hi Chonk!

I have never used chaat before. I've used bassar and east end garam masala. Got any advice on what dishes to use chaat with? :)

Literally any dish you wanto to, or you think would work well with its addition (: Raitas are great with it, the various Chaats, or you can sprinkle it on grilled meats and kebabs (similiar to sumac), or other types of steet foods and snacks. (Aloo Tikki, Samosa, etc.)  I like to use it in some dals and curries, too. Whenever you need that sour taste, you can try to throw in some Chaat masala for variation.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 02:23 PM »
I arrived at work today and found this:

The smell from the bags is quite inspiring! looking forward to some curry.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 03:47 PM »
Looks good! Can't wait to hear your report (:

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 04:02 PM »
Just noticed yesterday when I got home that ami also included 1 recipe of a chicken curry (with the bassar) which was rather similar to a staff curry and one for something-chaat that came with the chaat massala and possibly (I didn't check) one with the garam masala too. If anyone's interested in these traditional recipes, I can post them, although...  it's likely to take some time for me to type them. I

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 04:07 PM »
I can post them, although...  it's likely to take some time for me to type them. I

You could always take a photo of the recipe and upload that.  ;)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 04:09 PM »
I can post them, although...  it's likely to take some time for me to type them. I

You could always take a photo of the recipe and upload that.  ;)

Always so practical DP! Indeed, I'll post a picture later.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 02:54 AM »
Hey goncalo! (:

Any update yet? Made Pav Bhaji today, and used some Chaat in it - very tasty (: It looks like the GM is coarser than the other spices, is that correct?

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 12:29 PM »
Hey goncalo! (:

Any update yet? Made Pav Bhaji today, and used some Chaat in it - very tasty (: It looks like the GM is coarser than the other spices, is that correct?

Apologies for the delay chonk! I thought the bassar was a little coarser (if not the same) as the GM. Both of them coarser than what I remember of their commercial counterparts. I made shatkora bhuna staff curry with bassar and over the weekend I made 3 traditional styled curries: jalfrezi, vindaloo and a `jalfrezi meets dansak` concoction, where I used bassar+rajah madras as mix powder and a little GM at the end. It was fantastic. However, it's quite hard for me to make a honest comparison as I haven't done a traditional curry since 2 years ago. I haven't given a chance to the chaat yet. :)

I plan on making a base on Saturday, so I can give you a better opinion using the already known and tried recipes then. :)

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 06:15 PM »
No need to apologize, goncalo (: Happy to hear that you had great results so far. Sounds very good. Now I'm tempted to mix my own Bassar this weekend ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes