Author Topic: Hi all, just a quick post 'cos me curry's on  (Read 5539 times)

Offline hezzie

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hi all, just a quick post 'cos me curry's on
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Hezzle I think the problem is the base sauce recipe you're following is somewhat far from the accepted norm these days - I see it's a 2005 recipe which isn't anything like the base sauce most of us will be cooking these days. Suggest you seek out the 3 hour base by Chewytikka, or the 1 hour pressure cooker base also by Chewytikka and your problems with blending the base will no doubt go away as your onions and veg will be properly cooked.

Thank you, I was getting a bit snowed under with all the base recipes and which one to use, I'll use that one next and report back.

Thanks for that.

Offline hezzie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Hezzle I think the problem is the base sauce recipe you're following is somewhat far from the accepted norm these days - I see it's a 2005 recipe which isn't anything like the base sauce most of us will be cooking these days.
I don't think that just because the base was first documented in 2005 that is necessarily a reason for the failures that Hezzie is experiencing -- my earliest edition of Kris Dhillon dates from 1989, and that base is an absolute classic as far as BIR is concerned (and has never failed me).  The actual recipe that Hezzie is using /might/ be the cause, but my gut instinct tells me it is more a matter of technique.  In fact, I've just read the 2005 thread, and if it weren't for the date stamp I would swear it dated from 2013 -- people there are discussing /exactly/ the same things that we discuss today.  If it weren't for the fact that SWMBO has just telephoned to announce that she is coming home from Abu Dhabi for a couple of days, I would be tempted to try the Curry King recipes and report back, but much as she loves the flavour of curries she isn't as keen as I am that the kitchen (and house !) should smell like a BIR :)

** Phil.

Can you suggest anything I might have done wrong Phil that Nat' hasn't already suggested, I'd appreciate any advice from experienced members. I was very pleased with my first attempt, it was at least as good as 90% of the takeaways round by me and not far off being as good as the other 10%

It would be nice to order in a great curry and not have the hassle of doing it myself but I don't have that option.

On that note, why do others make their own curry's, is it to add skills to your cooking repertoire, or do you prefer the taste of your own.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Can you suggest anything I might have done wrong Phil that Nat' hasn't already suggested, I'd appreciate any advice from experienced members. I was very pleased with my first attempt, it was at least as good as 90% of the takeaways round by me and not far off being as good as the other 10%

I would strongly recommend re-introducing the missing 500ml of oil and trying again, following the recipe exactly even if you don't think it's leading where you want to go.  If at the end you still get a watery residue, then we will have to look again, but having read the recipe it all seems to gel in my mind so I think it would be worth trying again, this time with zero deviation.  If, at the end, there seems to be too much oil on the finished dish, then just gently pour some (but not all) off.

On that note, why do others make their own curry's, is it to add skills to your cooking repertoire, or do you prefer the taste of your own.

(1) Because I enjoy cooking
(2) Because I enjoy curries
(3) Because sometimes (but not every time), I create a far better curry than I can get locally.  And even if I don't, I still have the opportunity to correct it on the second night, because a curry rarely if ever last me only one meal.

** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 05:55 PM »
To answer your question, I'm a bit like Phil - love cooking, love curries and can eat delicious takeways nearly every night of the week - by making them myself. They're a whole lot cheaper to boot!

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 06:56 PM »

Both, I guess. For me, personally, another important factor: You know exactly what goes in to your dish, what you are eating.

©2024 Curry Recipes