Author Topic: Hello, world!  (Read 7117 times)

Offline randomxchef

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello, world!
« on: May 15, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Hi guys!
Just thought i'd search google for... I cant even remember what i was searching for now, it seems like I got lost down the endless path that is the internet!
Anyway, I was impressed by some of the posts on this website and some of the pro looking dishes- its always good to know that people can still find more in their kitchen than their freezer and oven!
About me- I'm an x chef (name was a bit of a give away i guess =) ), but a fairly jr x chef. My background- i did 2 years college, studying professional cookery lv 2&3 and a lv2 patisserie course. After that, i worked in a 2 rosette restaurant as a commis chef.  While i was there, i developed good technical skills and a keen eye for detail. Unfortunately, the exec head chef was a total (insert expletive here), and as such i decided to leave the kitchen, and re discover my passion for food again where it all started- at home!
I have very little experience cooking BIR food (apart from a quick dabble with a recipe from the "curry secret" book), but I have worked with a good array of food in the short time i was a chef (sea buckthorn curd, anyone?) so i hope i can contribute a bit of my experience where necessary, as well as making the most of the wonderful resources available on the website!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, world!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Welcome, (X-)Chef ! Good to have you aboard, but I'll pass on the buckthorn if it's all the same to you ...
** Phil.

Offline randomxchef

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Haha thanks for the welcome! I'v attempted to jump in with two feet with the knowledge I have and hope that it is on the whole of use!
The sea buckthorn curd was excellent! had a taste not to dissimilar from the orange coating from a Solero Ice lolly (with a deeper complexity)! Though if you're like me, its savory all the way!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Though if you're like me, its savory all the way!

Hmmm, first "flavor" and now "savory".  Methinks our good ex-chef has trans-atlantic origins ...   And now that you've described the flavo(u)r of sea buckthorn curd, I have an almost uncontrollable urge to want to try some !  Come on, chef : spill the beans -- let's have the recipe for this wonderful dish.

** Phil.

Offline randomxchef

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:48 PM »
haha no, just another student failed by the English education system! (all though trying to make a amends a little too late in life!)
I cant give away ALL my secrets so early on, but i do hold a few excellent recipes I'm willing to give away (with some minor scaling from catering quantity's!).
My sticky-toffee pudding is a winner, and a lot less daunting than making a fresh curd over a bain-marie, perhaps i'll post that when i get the chance!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 10:40 PM »
I cant give away ALL my secrets so early on, but i do hold a few excellent recipes I'm willing to give away (with some minor scaling from catering quantity's!).
My sticky-toffee pudding is a winner, and a lot less daunting than making a fresh curd over a bain-marie, perhaps i'll post that when i get the chance!

OK, 'though I have to confess that it is not a desert I would normally choose (Cr

Offline randomxchef

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 10:59 PM »
I don't use gelatin in mine, but TBH there are a lot of ways to make a curd, so you cant really go wrong providing you don't cook the eggs! All shall be reveled in good time, but feel free to try that recipe, i don't see anything glaringly incorrect. Rhubarb makes a good curd also, just poach it in stock syrup and pure it (after removing the liquid- add it back in if you need to let it down).
Don't forget to pass the final product, it needs to be smooth and luxurious!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 11:02 PM »
All clear until the last part, Chef :  what is "to pass" on the context of
** Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 11:24 PM »
All clear until the last part, Chef :  what is "to pass" on the context of
** Phil.

Sieve it.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:37 PM by DalPuri »

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 11:25 PM »
Welcome.

It's nice to have someone with professional training who can input some of their experience and knowledge into what is for the most part a group of amateur but enthusiastic curry cooks.

The collective knowledge about all things BIR found on this site is pretty impressive I think you'll find.

Just don't forget however, that BIR ingredients and techniques are some way away from other styles of cooking.

©2024 Curry Recipes