Author Topic: What do you make of this?  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
What do you make of this?
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:10 PM »
What do yo make of the following dish?

I posted this elsewhere recently which didn't get much response so i'm sure some of you have already seen it but would like your thoughts on the idea.

Ignore my poor attempt at making it look chefy, but what is on the plate is a take-away from the Shanaz that I have never experienced before anywhere and one that surprised me quite alot. Infact, it surprised alot of the restaurant staff too who all sampled a tasting plate prior to me ordering it.

The principal of the dish is the lamb and is what caused the surprise. It is simply pre-cooked lamb that has been reheated in the Tandoor. It looks burnt and for all intents and purpose, it probably was, but the picture doesn't help. The lamb itself was extremely juicy and tender but a crispy outer texture. The flavour was subtle with a slight warmth of chili. The taster in the restaurant was even better, what made my plate was driven 10 miles down the road before being plated.

The dish was served with lots of caramelised onions a few of which you can see on top of the meat and accompanied with the tomatoes and peppers. I had this with a vegetable rice and thoroughly enjoyed it. After taking the picture, I piled the rest of the lamb and rice on top and devoured it! 8)

I highly recommend asking your local to do this for you if they are willing. Eitherway, i'd love your thought's on it.

Offline hezzie

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: What do you make of this?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 04:19 PM »
what is on the plate is a take-away from the Shanaz that I have never experienced before anywhere and one that surprised me quite alot. Infact, it surprised alot of the restaurant staff too who all sampled a tasting plate prior to me ordering it.

Well personally I love meat with a slightly burnt crunchy outside as long as the inside is still juicy and tender. I take it you asked the takeaway to make this for you, what on earth did you ask for, did you make the recipe yourself? I'd definitely order it.

In fact if you live within 200 miles of me I'll pop down now and you can serve me up that dish exactly as pictured...I'll buy the beers.  :D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 04:38 PM »
..I take it you asked the takeaway to make this for you, what on earth did you ask for, did you make the recipe yourself? I'd definitely order it.

No it was suggested to me by one of the waiters. He's worked in many Indian Restaurants and often suggesting I try something 'not on the menu'. The chef likes a challenge so often allows him to do this when they are quiet. He's never let me down yet and I have tried quite an assortment of dishes, i'd never have thought to ask for.

If I am honest, I was not going to order this and declared him bonkers. But he wasn't having any of it and asked the chef to make it as a taster plate for me to try. He returned with 4 pieces of lamb on a side plate with a little chopped coriander on. I tired a piece as did the other staff and we were all very surprised how good it was. It only took a split second for me to order it as a dish to take home. I have nicknamed it Lamb Bubba after the waiter.

I still think it's bonkers but will definitely order it again! :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 10:49 PM »
Hasn't anyone else got anything to say about this good or bad? Oh well moving on..... :(

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 12:48 AM »
looks awful to me... I hope the waitress wasn't trolling you on some gone out meat that was further charred to hide the putrefaction signs? ha, just kidding on the trolling bit, though it does not look very appealing to me anyway! :)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:27 PM »
If it tasted burnt I wouldn't be too bothered but if it didn't I definitely would. A sort of Tandoori Blackened Cajun Lamb  :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 02:39 PM »
Malc
Looks pretty bad, maybe if it was coated in Red Masala to protect the meat, before it was reheated,
it may have turned out better. But if it suits your taste, Hey Ho!

One of my Chef's was trying things out and he knows I like Adrak and Achar flavours.
So he knocked this starter up for me, Ginger spiced Chicken, Cherry Tomatoes, Silverskins on
a Naan Disc. The Silverskins spoilt the dish, being way to strong a flavour.

He wasn't too happy with my verdict at first, but he came round, when I explained.
Very difficult to tell a Chef his dish is shite, when his 10 staff are looking on. :o

But we've been pals for 25 years.

The starter looks good and tastes good, (without the Silverskins), so a work in progress. 8)

cheers Chewy

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Sorry Malc - looks dreadful to me but if it tastes ok .........................

©2024 Curry Recipes