Author Topic: coriander questions  (Read 6984 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
coriander questions
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:37 PM »
I bought a lidl pot of coriander and I would like to move it to the backyard to grow it there, but I have no idea how to do it, as I read around here that coriander doesn't like to be moved around, etc.

Any advice?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: coriander questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:53 PM »
I bought a lidl pot of coriander and I would like to move it to the backyard to grow it there, but I have no idea how to do it, as I read around here that coriander doesn't like to be moved around, etc.
  • If you have snails, don't even bother.  It will all be gone by morning :(
  • I think that it was earlier written that the seed used for Lidl-style tubs is not the seed that one would use in a garden; Lidl-style seed is selected for one criterion, garden seed for another.  Sorry I can't remember the thread :  I will look for it later if no-one else responds in the meantime.
** Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 02:43 PM »
Get yourself down to your local cheap shop and pick up a 14ltr black bucket and a small bag of compost.
Drill some holes in the bottom, fill with compost, sow a couple of dozen seeds, cover lightly and water in.

You'll struggle with fresh potted herbs from the supermarket, especially a lidl pot. Shouldve bought a big pot.  ;D

A young Geordie lad went to the newly opened supermarket in his town at 3am because he thought it was open 24hours.
"Aye well me mam said it was Aldi"  ;D

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:07 PM »
Thanks Phil/DP!

I'm not too sure there is snails or risk of having them, but they tend to be seen more often in summer. If they exist and coriander attracts them, I might use them as a trap to pick up the snails and eat them myself!
I have a bag of coriander seeds from East End (or heera? I can't think right now) -- would these seeds suit?

Any specific reason on the 14 litre pot DP?

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:15 PM »

Any specific reason on the 14 litre pot DP?

If they exist and coriander attracts them, I might use them as a trap to pick up the snails and eat them myself!

no reason Goncalo, only theyre usually the cheapest buckets to buy. bog standard black buckets with a handle.

70% of all snails eaten in France are the common garden snails that we get here.  ;) Just remember to purge them on some clean lettuce or similar for a few days.

I have a bag of coriander seeds from East End (or heera? I can't think right now) -- would these seeds suit?

throw a few into a glass of water and leave in a warm place for a day or three. If you see the germ appear, then you will know that theyre viable.  :)
You can also help them along if nothing is opening by gently cracking the husk between your teeth.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 12:52 AM »
cheers DP! I'm going to give it a try, though I'd rather wait until I get off the diet, as to not accelerate the coriander seeds lifetime!

As for the snails, I don't get the clean lettuce bit? :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 01:21 AM »

It just means to clean them out by feeding them something free of any toxins harmful to you.
You dont know what they've been eating or if the plants are poisonous or whether there are fertilisers or chemicals around.  :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 01:56 AM »

It just means to clean them out by feeding them something free of any toxins harmful to you.
You dont know what they've been eating or if the plants are poisonous or whether there are fertilisers or chemicals around.  :)

Makes sense, although I sort of doubt all those people collecting these buggers in portugal and selling them at marketplaces aren't doing anything other than bagging them up! :)

Offline Tim.C

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 03:06 PM »
If you get any coriander plants to grow in your garden, you can leave some to go to seed and replant those the next spring. However, I just leave them and they self-seed like mad. They are tough hardy, even through tough Austrian winters. Every year I get a free crop of coriander in the veggie patch.

Offline nursebetty

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 05:33 PM »
I grow Coriander in my garden and I have a mixture of Herbs growing
You could add slug/snail pellets or egg shells

©2024 Curry Recipes