Author Topic: Your favourite raita!  (Read 4335 times)

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Your favourite raita!
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:44 AM »
Hi guys! (:

Anybody else here who loves raita? I tried out 'Boondi raita' and it was out of this world! I really liked the different flavours and, if you don't presoak the boondis (little fried gram flour balls, similiar to what germans know as "Backerbse" [baked pea]), the opposing textures of smooth and crunchy. You get these ready to serve in most asian grocery stores* (I use Haldiram's), which makes it easy-peasy to prepare. Great as a stand-alone snack, too (: Try this one, highly recommended (:

What are your favourite raitas? Which consistency do you prefer? Slightly thick, or a little more watery, or even sauce-like? Which ingredients? Mixed, cucumber, mint,  plain, etc.? Maybe some Chaat masala? (I really love that stuff, but some people dislike it)

Looking forward to the discussion (:

Greetings!

* or make your own (:

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite raita!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:20 AM »
Not a big fan of the tangyness of the yogurt, however, I made a mint raita before for my girlfriend using milk, colemans mint sauce, a spicy mango chutney, coriander and sugar and the result was interesting. I have also had this one on my list of recipes to be tried:

http://fxcuisine.com/?Display=47

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:11 AM »
ignore this post, I replied to the wrong topic.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:51 PM »
I like my ratia to be like the consistency of single cream and I usually use this recipe

225g yoghurt
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp sugar (or to taste)
1 teaspoon mint jelly (or sauce)
1/2 tsp mango powder (amchoor)
1 tbsp fresh coriander (finely chopped)
pinch of salt (or to taste)
couple of drops of green or yellow (or other colour) food colouring (optional)
1 clove finely chopped garlic

Simply blend all of the ingredients together.

Great with popadoms, tikka & kofta / shami kebabs

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:53 PM »
I tried the MDH Podina Chutney powder today, together with yogurt to make a raita. It was quite nice actually, after I was a little bit disappointed with their ready masalas before (tried the Pav Bhaji one the other day, the smell was amazing, but after more than two tablespoons, still no big flavour). I'm thinking about using this powder whenever I need dried mint, could go well with some afghan dishes too. Will compare the MDH Chunky Chat powder with Shan's Chaat soon.

©2024 Curry Recipes