Author Topic: ROF and Other Side-effects  (Read 1786 times)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
ROF and Other Side-effects
« on: May 20, 2013, 06:08 PM »
A few weeks back I made a rather hot curry, with about 3 hpd tsps of chilli powder in.  It was particularly nice and flavoursome but not blisteringly hot.

The next day I suffered all morning with the dreaded ROF and some stomach cramps.

Is that telling me such a hot curry doesn't suit me or is it indicative of not cooking it properly?  It didn't taste bitter at all and as I said it was nice, and one of my better efforts.

I don't recall suffering to the same degree with previous efforts or after a takeaway although heartburn is a common side-effect for me; although not present after this one.

Offline SpeedBird

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: ROF and Other Side-effects
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 08:59 PM »
I've always found that excessive use of chilli powder - and to a lesser extent, commercial ground cumin - can aggravate my stomach lining. Try using fresh chillies rather than ground chilli powder to add heat.

Hotter varieties of fresh chillies are available than the usual supermarket fare if you know where to look. Habaneros, Nagas and Scotch Bonnets will all add fire - and their own distinct flavours.

I'm new here and I'm wondering exactly what ROF is? I'm guessing it isn't heartburn/acid reflux...

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:10 PM »

Offline SpeedBird

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:17 PM »
Hahaha...I should have realised.

Again, fresh chillies would likely be less of an irritant than chilli powder as they would be digested almost fully rather than passing straight through.

Or invest in a tube of Preparation H...

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:04 PM »
Could be the heat, but not necessarily. What curry was it? Although some spices aid digestion, a few others can cause a rumble, some people say. It's not uncommon to combine yoghurt based side-dishes or drinks with heavy spiced meals, because it helps to digest. Coffee is great, too! (although I don't like it, except some middle-eastern mocca)

©2024 Curry Recipes