Author Topic: Thursday is Crazy curry day!  (Read 13075 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Thursday is Crazy curry day!
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 12:46 AM »
I agree with DP's comment. I'd imagine your CTM should've been ready in half the time had you a decent flame source.

Offline Alchemist

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 08:16 AM »
I'LL tell you whats lacking,, some heat under your pans!!

Either deal with the splatter or use a high sided pan but, Whack that heat up!  ;)
You'll make far better curries when you start to fry your ingredients rather than sweat them.  :)

I agree, I do normally crank it up, although not having a gas hob does limit the maximum heat I can achieve.  I think with the keema I knocked it down as it seemed to be burning on the bottom of the pan and I didn't want to burn it!

Thanks for your feedback.

Offline Alchemist

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2013, 08:18 AM »
Having looked at the video again I'm convinced all that meat needs a serious amount of spices to achieve something like a decent keema.  Anyone got a top notch recipe for this?

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2013, 11:08 AM »
Having looked at the video again I'm convinced all that meat needs a serious amount of spices to achieve something like a decent keema.  Anyone got a top notch recipe for this?

What you have done in your recipe is called "keema matar", which is essentially minced meat with peas.

You should to extract the meats juices and cook it in its own juices, fat and water. The meat started to burn because it stuck to the bottom as there was not enough liquid or fat in between.

I think you can improve your dish slightly if you add more onions and keep on adding water and mixing when things start to stick. Don't leave the pan for long periods either and scrape the bottom of the pan to avoid the burning.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2013, 02:52 PM »

Either deal with the splatter or use a high sided pan but, Whack that heat up!  ;)
You'll make far better curries when you start to fry your ingredients rather than sweat them.  :)

I agree, I do normally crank it up, although not having a gas hob does limit the maximum heat I can achieve.  I think with the keema I knocked it down as it seemed to be burning on the bottom of the pan and I didn't want to burn it!

Hi Alchemist, thats not exactly what i meant as you can achieve great results on a medium heat, gas or electric.
What i see in your video and the majority of homemade BIR videos is impatience.

I'll give you an example (not completely aimed at you  ;))

cold pan
oil into cold pan
g/g or onions into cold oil
spices/deglazer into hard/raw G/G/O
base gravy into already wet spices/deglazer

Nothing is given a chance to sing or do its own thing in the pan. Forget the recipe methods and timings and focus on the ingredients.
Use your senses to tell you when to add the next ingredient.

The way i've seen some people cooking BIR, they might as well chuck everything into a cocktail shaker and empty the whole lot straight into the pan.

Keep at it Alchemist, you'll get there.  ;)

p.s. when things start to catch on the bottom, just add a tiny splash of water to deglaze and repeat if necessary. Stir off the heat for a few seconds to stop the splatter is a good tip, but never turn your heat down to the lowest setting until the end of the dish when you just want it to tick away on a low simmer and after each set of ingredients has been cooked through.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:30 PM by DalPuri »

Offline Alchemist

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2013, 09:03 PM »

Hi Alchemist, thats not exactly what i meant as you can achieve great results on a medium heat, gas or electric.
What i see in your video and the majority of homemade BIR videos is impatience.

I'll give you an example (not completely aimed at you  ;))

cold pan
oil into cold pan
g/g or onions into cold oil
spices/deglazer into hard/raw G/G/O
base gravy into already wet spices/deglazer

Nothing is given a chance to sing or do its own thing in the pan. Forget the recipe methods and timings and focus on the ingredients.
Use your senses to tell you when to add the next ingredient.

The way i've seen some people cooking BIR, they might as well chuck everything into a cocktail shaker and empty the whole lot straight into the pan.

Keep at it Alchemist, you'll get there.  ;)

p.s. when things start to catch on the bottom, just add a tiny splash of water to deglaze and repeat if necessary. Stir off the heat for a few seconds to stop the splatter is a good tip, but never turn your heat down to the lowest setting until the end of the dish when you just want it to tick away on a low simmer and after each set of ingredients has been cooked through.

Yeah, was just following the recipe instructions really which indicated a moderate heat at first.  I do normally start with a fierce heat for the first part of cooking and this often gives a better end result.  Thanks.

©2024 Curry Recipes