Author Topic: AnySharp Global knife sharpener - beware of fakes  (Read 12064 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
AnySharp Global knife sharpener - beware of fakes
« on: May 23, 2013, 02:34 PM »
After reading about the AnySharp Global knife sharpener in other threads in this fine forum, while I wouldn't use anything like this on my quality knives, I decided to click on the eBay link provided and buy one to sharpen my cheap knives. As someone else pointed out, for

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: AnySharp Global knife sharpener - beware of fakes
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:56 PM »
Too late :  I am almost certain I have thrown my packaging away ...
Ah well, at least it explains why it does not work :)
** Phil.

Offline matcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:28 PM »
i bought one one of these a while back it was rubbish it ruined my knifes, left them very sharp but all jagged and chipped think ive put it in the bin. think ive been ripped of

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 04:49 PM »
I use a spyder sharpmaker, great piece of kit.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

Offline Mattie

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 01:27 PM »
I got stung by buying a fake from Ebay, although it worked pretty well for about 4 months, its knackered now.  Anyway I just brought an Anysharp Pro with a gift box for ?12.95 (Free P&P) from http://www.saverschoiceuk.com/anysharp-pro-gift-pack-the-world-s-best-knife-sharpener-metal.html If anyone is on the lookout for one.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Basic AnySharp (silver) available at Tesco for only

Offline TheCurryBible

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 03:39 PM »
I've also got one of these, but I'm really not sure if it's a real one or a fake one, either way it was terrible. I replaced it with one of this Mino-sharp mini water wheel sharpeners. That was a bit better, but still not great. I finally bit the bullet and bought a couple of proper wet stones, which are a thousand times more effective (fictional statistic btw). Take a bit of getting used to, but definitely result in a much better edge.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:54 PM »
I've also got one of these, but I'm really not sure if it's a real one or a fake one, either way it was terrible.
If you have owned a fake (as I have) and you then acquire the real thing (as I also have), there will be absolutely no doubt in your mind that you can tell the difference.  It is rather like (for example) seeing your first Golden Eagle in Scotland, when up until then you had only succeeded in convincing yourself that "that big bird up there" (i.e., a buzzard) /must surely/ be a Golden Eagle; or (if you are more of a oenophile than a bird-watcher) drinking a Chateau Margaux for the first time when up until then the best red you had ever tried was a Mouton Cadet.  When you attempt to sharpen a knife with a fake AnySharp, the blade will glide over the device; when you use a real AnyKnife, you will feel the blade bite instantly, and throughout the pull (provided that you are careful) that tension will be maintained.

** Phil.

Offline TheCurryBible

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 04:13 PM »
I've also got one of these, but I'm really not sure if it's a real one or a fake one, either way it was terrible.
If you have owned a fake (as I have) and you then acquire the real thing (as I also have), there will be absolutely no doubt in your mind that you can tell the difference.  It is rather like (for example) seeing your first Golden Eagle in Scotland, when up until then you had only succeeded in convincing yourself that "that big bird up there" (i.e., a buzzard) /must surely/ be a Golden Eagle; or (if you are more of a oenophile than a bird-watcher) drinking a Chateau Margaux for the first time when up until then the best red you had ever tried was a Mouton Cadet.  When you attempt to sharpen a knife with a fake AnySharp, the blade will glide over the device; when you use a real AnyKnife, you will feel the blade bite instantly, and throughout the pull (provided that you are careful) that tension will be maintained.

** Phil.

TBH it did feel like the blade was biting, but as I dragged it over the groove it felt like it was really chewing in to the blade and often left the edge quite rough and burred. I've still got it somewhere, but it's relegated to "camping knife" duties.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 04:39 PM »
Ah, then it's possible that you were exerting too much pressure; try again, but next time with only sufficient pressure to cause it to bite lightly ...

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes