Author Topic: bay leaf  (Read 6168 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
bay leaf
« on: May 25, 2013, 04:37 PM »
I got my bay leaf in east end bags, but it appears they are not the indian variety, but the more common one. They are small, quite dry and break easily. I'm looking to buy the indian/west indian version. Does anyone have any good recommendations on where to source these online?

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: bay leaf
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 04:48 PM »
I've only ever come across one major brand that actually had tej patta in the bag when it said TP or Indian bay on the packet.  ::)

Sorry, i cant remember which it was. I'm sure the info is on this site somewhere though Goncalo.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 05:08 PM by DalPuri »

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 04:55 PM »
TRS! (:

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 05:13 PM »
I've only ever come across one major brand that actually had tej patta in the bag when it said TJ or Indian bay on the packet.  ::)

Sorry, i cant remember which it was. I'm sure the info is on this site somewhere though Goncalo.  ;)

NP DP! but your post sort of confused me a bit more, as tej patta is a generic name for bay leaf, then there are the varieties such as european, indian, indonesian, etc, cheers though! :)

I found a post where this has been discussed and haldi had exactly the same doubt as me and it was clarified.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2208.msg21018.html#msg21018

Thanks chonk, spot on on the trs, also mentioned in that thread above :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 06:53 PM »
These guys supply the Asian Stores, which feed the BIR ;)
Delivery to Ireland a fiver.
http://www.azkaonline.co.uk/products-page/1-azka-product
Chewy

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 07:09 PM »
These guys supply the Asian Stores, which feed the BIR ;)  Delivery to Ireland a fiver.  http://www.azkaonline.co.uk/products-page/1-azka-product
Well, I just hope there's not too many Asian stores that buy the 1kg pack rather than 2 x 500gm, because each time they do they waste tuppence !

Azka Bay-Leaf (Tej Pata)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Thanks a lot Chewy/Phil.

I just returned from eurasia and not finding TRS, I called a clerk, who guaranteed to me that those (pointing to heera and east end) were the indian bay leaf, so I came home empty handed (actually, I didn't as I found Spanish saffron there!)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Thanks a lot Chewy/Phil.

I just returned from eurasia and not finding TRS, I called a clerk, who guaranteed to me that those (pointing to heera and east end) were the indian bay leaf, so I came home empty handed (actually, I didn't as I found Spanish saffron there!)

As he was willing to guarantee that they were Indian bay, could you not have bought a packet and then opened it in the shop to check, insisting on a refund if it turned out to be European ?  I have to say, Indian bay is very easy to source in my part of the world.

** Phil.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 09:52 PM »
I struggled to find any in the UK so while I was in India I asked a waiter in the Imperial hotel if the chef had any spare during a meal, and he came back from the kitchens with a whole load of spices for me, including Indian tej patta.

Offline chrisbr

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 10:27 PM »

©2024 Curry Recipes