Author Topic: Domestic Tandoors - TandooriQ vs Puri vs Spices of India etc  (Read 30088 times)

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
I'm still not 100% happy with my naans.  I've tried various recipes and cooking methods involving frying pans, griddles, baking trays, inverted and non-inverted pizza stones, a chefs blowtorch, grill, oven, hob... although passable none quite replicate that restaurant naan taste or chewy consistency.

In short, I've only one test left to try - a teracotta pizza stone on a propane-fired barbeque (weather permitting I'll get to try that this weekend!)  If that still doesn't work I'm seriously contemplating giving in to a long-held desire for a small domestic (probably charcoal-fired or is LPG better - any difference in taste?) tandoor from the likes of TandooriQ, Puri, Shahi or Spices of India.

Has anyone used one of these, they appear much of a muchness in construction but impartial reviews seem tricky to come by.  Does it really work well enough to cook naans better than the methods listed above?

I've looked at going down the DIY route - sourcing the parts and skills is the problem so I'd prefer to buy one pre-made.

Thanks!

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Domestic Tandoors - TandooriQ vs Puri vs Spices of India etc
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:51 PM »
If you want to go DIY there's threads on here and elsewhere on the internet - I really want to get myself a tandoor sometime. I think the thing is that the heat generated is the key. As far as I recall 400 - 500C. The ability to produce crispy yet soft naans at this heat seems self evident. Would a barbecue deliver such heat? I don't know.

Look forward to hearing the outcome of your experiment sp.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 02:45 PM »
This rather suspicious user, posted a brief recommendation on the tandoori from the brand Puri. It came across suspicious to me, but he seems to be registered since the creation of time, so it's a bit hard to judge.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11954.msg95426.html#msg95426

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 03:06 PM »
I'm still not 100% happy with my naans.  I've tried various recipes and cooking methods involving frying pans, griddles, baking trays, inverted and non-inverted pizza stones, a chefs blowtorch, grill, oven, hob... although passable none quite replicate that restaurant naan taste or chewy consistency.

In short, I've only one test left to try - a teracotta pizza stone on a propane-fired barbeque (weather permitting I'll get to try that this weekend!)  If that still doesn't work I'm seriously contemplating giving in to a long-held desire for a small domestic (probably charcoal-fired or is LPG better - any difference in taste?) tandoor from the likes of TandooriQ, Puri, Shahi or Spices of India.

Has anyone used one of these, they appear much of a muchness in construction but impartial reviews seem tricky to come by.  Does it really work well enough to cook naans better than the methods listed above?

I've looked at going down the DIY route - sourcing the parts and skills is the problem so I'd prefer to buy one pre-made.

Thanks!

My wife brought me a tandoori oven last Christmas from Spices Of India.It's fantastic and I wouldn't be without it.I really don't think you can get restaurant style naan breads without using one,as well as making tandoori/tikka meats with that BIR taste,it just isn't the same.It takes a bit of practice but once you get used to using a tandoor you'll be knocking out naans with ease!!

Balti chilli garlic naan(right) and peshwari naan left.The bottom two naans were made from dough given
to me by my local restaurant.The top left was my own dough mix which actually came out better!!

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 03:18 PM »
Thanks for your impressions JB and thanks for the pictures.

One question that always puzzled me is, how hot is it when you go with your naan ready to slap on the wall of the tandoor?

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Whoa!!!
Really good advert for getting a Tandor.
Naans look great there JB

Last year I was watching a new Tandoori guy cooking Malai Tikka
and he was smoking it, by throwing oil soaked Whole Garam Spices onto the lava stones (Gas Tandor)
The Chicken was delicious and really unusual.
Might be worth an experiment.

cheers Chewy

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Heard somewhere that many chefs have their own mixtures, which they rub on the indiside of the tandoor to add some extra flavour. Oil soaked GM sounds like something similiar. Nice idea!

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 05:52 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys, jb that's exactly the style I was looking at, which model is that?  I see that Spices of India's couriers are a bit naughty in that they want

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 07:38 PM »
This is the one...

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Tandoor-Oven.html

Like I said I wouldn't be without it now.The only drawback is that because of the fumes and smoke it does have to be used outside.You can't get the clay wet and obviously the weather can be a bit unpredictable so you have to be careful.Usually I have it it my shed with the the doors open,although last time I did this the neighbour thought my shed was on fire and nearly called the fire brigade!

Here's one naan bread that got away....damn tricky hooking those things out!!

©2024 Curry Recipes