Author Topic: Domestic Tandoors - TandooriQ vs Puri vs Spices of India etc  (Read 30091 times)

Offline Sumeet

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Domestic Tandoors - TandooriQ vs Puri vs Spices of India etc
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 03:18 PM »
Guys, I have been using PURI tandoors from the last 5 years now, I bought the 2nd generation SS2 model that didn't have side tables then. Skewers were round and it didn't look stunning as they do now. But anyway, I changed my skewers to square skewers from PURI's. I believe they sell only square skewers now which is good if you are considering buying one.
I make perfect naan bread and seekh kebab comes out succulent n juicy. The only trick is that you must get the oven very hot. Don't be afraid of mixing lumpwood and briquetts. This is what i use:

1 Kgs Instant light charcoal
1 Kgs lumpwood (should be big lumps)
500 gms briquett

and I get it from cold to cooking temp in 30 mins. My naan comes out crisp and chewy. chicken is done within 15 mins.

Be it restaurant tandoor or PURI home tandoor, the principle is same. Get it hot and enjoy.

I recently bought Ranjit Rai recipe book from PURI web site, which I would highly recommend. I will try to take some pics next time and post it here. Enjoy

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 10:58 PM »
Be it restaurant tandoor or PURI home tandoor, the principle is same. Get it hot and enjoy.

As I've said before, I can't see many restaurants going to the time, expense and mess of using charcoal, when gas is so much easier.

Does anyone here know of any specific BIRs which use charcoal on a routine basis?

Anyway, welcome to the forum, if you're a genuine independent user and not just posting on behalf of PURI.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 12:06 AM »
Anyway, welcome to the forum, if you're a genuine independent user and not just posting on behalf of PURI.

There is a fairly good chance he is the business owner. See, his username happens to be the first name of the owner of the puritandoors.com domain address. Granted there can be several sumeet's out there... but I don't think its coincidental.

Domain Name.......... puritandoors.com
  Creation Date........ 2010-02-01
  Registration Date.... 2010-02-01
  Expiry Date.......... 2014-02-01
  Organisation Name.... Sumeet Puri
  Organisation Address. 32 Main Street
  Organisation Address.
  Organisation Address.
  Organisation Address. Nottingham
  Organisation Address. NG4 4PN
  Organisation Address. Lambley
  Organisation Address. GREAT BRITAIN (UK)

Admin Name........... Sumeet Puri
  Admin Address........ 32 Main Street
  Admin Address........
  Admin Address........
  Admin Address. Nottingham
  Admin Address........ NG4 4PN
  Admin Address........ Lambley
  Admin Address........ GREAT BRITAIN (UK)
  Admin Email.......... sumeetpuri@thetandoorclayoven.co.uk
  Admin Phone.......... +44.1159265578
  Admin Fax............ +44.1158775999

Tech Name............ Sumeet Puri
  Tech Address......... 32 Main Street
  Tech Address.........
  Tech Address.........
  Tech Address......... Nottingham
  Tech Address......... NG4 4PN
  Tech Address......... Lambley
  Tech Address......... GREAT BRITAIN (UK)
  Tech Email........... sumeetpuri@thetandoorclayoven.co.uk
  Tech Phone........... +44.1159265578
  Tech Fax............. +44.1158775999
  Name Server.......... ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com
  Name Server.......... ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2013, 12:39 AM »
If it is the business a great idea would be for them to give one of the forum members a top-of-the range model, to put it through its paces. Me, for example.  I would be able to give it a proper grilling, and report back the results.

Rob  :) 

Offline Sumeet

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2013, 09:39 AM »
I took this from PURI Tandoors facebook page and it worked like a treat. The missing ingredient was semolina.. Try it yourself

Your Favourite Naan bread recipe:

In the last 3 years, we must have tried at least 10 different naan bread recipes, and we are here today to give you the best we have tried so far.... There are many ingredients that goes on in making a perfect naan bread, of course you can add or remove some ingredients according to your taste. But for this time, try making it as is so that you know what to change for next time.

Ingredients:
Fine white semolina - 350 gms
White flour - 400 gms
Yeast - 1 1/4 tea spoon
Baking powder - 1 1/4 tea spoon
Egg - 1 (beat the egg)
Salt - 1/2 tea spoon OR according to taste
Olive oil - 3 table spoon

Mix above ingredients in a kneading bowl, add 200 ml water and start kneading. Keep on adding more water and keep kneading until the dough is smooth and pliable. Once done, you may want to cover the dough with a damp cloth. Leave it to rise for at least 2-3 hours in a warm place. In UK, we generally keep the dough in airing cupboard. You don't have to damp the cloth once it's dry.
2-3 hours in warm place should be sufficient for dough to have risen to almost double it's original size. Give it another knead and leave it for another 30 mins or so.. Your dough is now ready. There will be fair amount of elasticity in your dough which is perfect for the next step that we are about to explain.

Make equal balls from the dough to the size of just a little larger than a golf ball. Flatten each with a rolling pin and place it on the cushion (comes free with PURI Tandoors), sprinkle little water on the side facing up and pull it from top to give it a naan bread shape (you know what I mean).

Slap it on the hot tandoor wall and close the lid. In our SS2 model, you can cook up to 6 naan breads in one go. SS1 / MS1 can take up to 4. Open the top lid to check after a minute. Your naan bread is ready when you see that it has risen a bit and seem cooked with a light brown bubbles. Take the naan bread out with naan bread rods and apply butter (according to taste)

That's it. Good luck and come back next week for another mouth watering recipe only to be cooked in PURI Tandoors. And yes, don't forget to like us. We like you :) www.TheTandoorClayOven.co.uk

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 11:46 AM »
I took this from PURI Tandoors facebook page and it worked like a treat. The missing ingredient was semolina.. Try it yourself

Thanks for the recipe. Perhaps it's worth a try if they (you?) really have tried 10 recipes and that's the favourite.

But it uses olive oil, which has a flavour I'm not sure fits with a BIR style naan bread. I could be wrong though.

©2024 Curry Recipes