Author Topic: Domestic Tandoors - TandooriQ vs Puri vs Spices of India etc  (Read 29872 times)

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Domestic Tandoors - TandooriQ vs Puri vs Spices of India etc
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 09:15 AM »
Interesting to see a thread with more real Tandoor users - I got one a while back, but it left a lot to be desired.  Not only did I deal with shipping problems, but the unit never cooked properly despite numerous attempts to season it for Naan.  The construction quality was only so-so at best.

I did manage to make a few decent batches of Chicken Tikka, but it definitely did not provide that much improved performance over my charcoal grill as far as flavor goes.

Words of advice - don't skimp on a unit or you may be sorry.  I'm sure there are a number of good ones out there, but especially if it is being shipped far - there is a great risk for damage if shipped improperly and some units are not made for the long haul.

However, being a glutton for punishment, I will eventually buy the tandoor I should have purchased in the first place and I'm sure it will make amazing breads, since the major focus of the manufacturer is fixated on the clay itself, its heat retention properties, and ability to cook correctly.  The designer has done much work on commercial tandoors, so it is a professional-grade consumer product.

Also worth noting, at least here in the states, it looks like many commercial units are gas fired, too.  That said, I've been to a restaurant that used a real charcoal tandoor and the flavor of the chicken in dishes and the naan was incredible.  Looking forward to seeing more comments from other tandoor owners!

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Thank you for your kind comments and your totally incorrect judgement of character........

Fair enough, but with your post count of 9 (as of the time I wrote my comment) and the previous post being from 2006 and with a straight-forward (not really elaborate of your experience) your you can't held me guilty for suspecting on intentions.

I'm sure it's no news in this day and age, that the internet is quite a wonder for marketing and spam. Example, have you ever tried to find genuine reviews on dentists?

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 07:55 PM »
As promised, here are some photos of my first tandoor session - Tandoori Chicken with savoury rice and a pint of homebrew...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:10 PM by sp »

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 09:12 PM »
I haven't had chicken as succulent in quite some time - it was like the freshly roasted chicken you buy in Asda/Tesco et al from their spit-roast deli counters - very moreish but not at all greasy, just juicy.  I was a bit worried about the cooking time, it took quite a bit longer (40 mins) than the expected 20 mins according to the guides on the puri and tandoorliving (their australian distributor) websites but they were quite big portions with bones in and wasn't sure how much lumpwood charcoal to put in, door/lid on or off etc.  Got there in the end!   Fearful of disaster I took the lazy option with the preparation - Asda frozen Smart Price chicken portions de-skinned, I had 3/4 jar of pataks tandoori paste to use up so just mixed it with some fresh yoghurt and marinaded overnight; and the savoury rice was out of a packet (shame on me - it was a one-off I assure you!  ;D)

It was still lovely though!

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Looks nice. Keep the updates coming

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 11:33 PM »
Looks fantastic SP.

Which exact model is this?

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 12:26 AM »
Does look a quality piece of kit.  Will hang on for more reports and way up if a second-hand commercial tandoor (with major kitchen modification) is also an option.  Agree, very dodgy rice SP, but the chicken is looking good, and the home brew looks absolutely fantastic!

Rob  :)

Offline dave3310

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 08:34 AM »
Thank you for your kind comments and your totally incorrect judgement of character........

Fair enough, but with your post count of 9 (as of the time I wrote my comment) and the previous post being from 2006 and with a straight-forward (not really elaborate of your experience) your you can't held me guilty for suspecting on intentions.

Have you ever tried to post comments on the forum from a cell ??

Easier said than done mate

Offline dave3310

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 08:48 AM »
Looks fantastic SP.

Which exact model is this?

Anyway, moving on....

Goncalo, it looks like the SS2 Ultima.

I took delivery of mine about a month ago and I've been firing it up about 3 times per week.  It's a hell of a bit of kit.  The real advantage is when it comes to doing the naans.

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments guys, to answer Goncalos question it's the Puri SS1 Ultima - slightly smaller than the SS2 but more than enough for a small family of 3 (well 4 if you include the cat, he loves a bit of naan and chicken tikka!)

http://www.thetandoorclayoven.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=252

©2024 Curry Recipes