Author Topic: Bombay Aloo  (Read 4768 times)

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Bombay Aloo
« on: May 30, 2013, 02:34 PM »
I decided to try Dipuraja's bombay aloo

CA's base gravy - 1/2 of the recipe qty

Blended

Cooking

Finished

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Bombay Aloo
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:13 PM »
How was it? I've been lucky enough to see quite a few BIR chefs at work lately, and after watching Dip's youtube vids he appears totally clueless by comparison.

Rob  :)

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Not as sweet as i'm used to, vinegary taste from the tom paste, and I prefer it with more tomato flavour, but good non the less.

Next time i'll mix in diced toms with the onions, add some passatta and reduce down then add the gravy.

I did fry off some cumin seed before cooking and the flavour came through well.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:15 PM »
How did you prep the spuds Geezah?  Not sure how they serve BA in your area, but down here it's a fairyly dry dish. So your gravy should be no more than about 2 chefs spoons and and reduced until it's sticking to the spuds. Heaped chef spoon of chopped onions with a  tsp of g/g and fry on high.A tsp of mix powder, one of dilute tom puree should be enough added to the onions and fry.   Add the spuds and stir then the gravy and reduce.  Add a couple of quarters of fresh tomato added right at the end and warm through.  Garnish with coriander, simples.  But it's all in the prep of the spuds mate :o  They are key to the dish :P

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:29 PM »
I gently simmered the potato until al dente with a tsp of mixed spices with the lid on the pan.

And yes, I generally have them served in a more bhoona fashion, but this was my first attempt.
I used about 175 - 200ml of garabi and reduced it to about 1/2 the volume.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 10:37 PM »
Have a read through the group test on bombay aloo Geezah.  Ignore the crap from certain individuals and prep the spuds as described by CurryBarking Mad.  They won't be beaten IMHO.  Then choose one of the recipes but keep the gravy to a max of 3 chef spoons.  You'll be amazed at the results.
Well done on your first attempt mate.  Things just get better and better the more you read and experiment  :)  And it is great when you get a little help along the way  ;)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 07:36 AM »
First impression of that base was that it is far too thick. Then noticed that you use CA's base which I have always found too thick when made to spec. and is one that I personally do not get on with. A thinner base may help achieve the effect that CH mentions as it will reduce much better than the thicker one perhaps.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:04 AM »
Have a read through the group test on bombay aloo Geezah.  Ignore the crap from certain individuals and prep the spuds as described by CurryBarking Mad. 

Bit difficult for Geezah to know which "cr@p" to ignore, CH :  can you perhaps be a little more explicit without causing offence ?

** Phil.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 04:43 PM »
I think you've been around long enough on this forum to know exactly what i mean Phil, but for those that haven't, anything that does not directly relate to the preparation, cooking and sampling of the chosen dishes by those involved and subsequent info provided by others that tried one or more of the dishes or comments posted by individuals directly connected with the cooking and taste of the dish in question.  All too often over the years one can read threads on here which turn into a 5 page CR0 bun fight  ::) which proceeds to go way way off topic and basically achieves nothing other than disharmony.  Enough said as I have now taken this thread off topic. :-\

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 11:47 PM »
Those bombay aloo look very good Geezah.

If I may ask, what tomato paste are you using? I've never come across tomato paste with vinegar. Not trying to sound like a smartass, but if I did, I would think it to be ketchup!

I also noticed you didn't add chunky onions or tomato quarter(s)

©2024 Curry Recipes