Author Topic: use of salt in currys  (Read 18747 times)

Offline matcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
use of salt in currys
« on: June 05, 2013, 02:01 AM »
I don't use salt in any of the currys i have cooked, i dont like the taste and i can taste it more than other people. My currys don't seem to me to be any different and other love them. Is there anybody else who uses less or no salt?  What do you thing of this? 

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: use of salt in currys
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:41 AM »
Hi Mat! (:

Maybe you are a "supertaster"? ;D Personally, I don't use that much salt, but almost always a bit, because I believe it enhances the flavour and complements the spices.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:50 AM »
I forgot to put salt in a Madras once and it was terrible, so for me salt is essential.

Offline SteveyG

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:37 PM »
I find salt essential too, though you don't need to add silly amounts. It brings out a lot of flavours in the dishes.

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:40 PM »
A little pinch here and there.The habit to employ is to constantly taste your food.You'll soon tell what is needed,if-as you say- it's needed at all.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 06:50 PM »
I use approximately 1/8 to 1/4 tsp in most curries and without it I find curries don't taste good.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Don't use salt anymore. I use all purpose seasoning instead.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 03:51 PM »
Don't they usually contain salt anyway

Offline Davegrc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 03:59 PM »
I think salt is too big a subject not to comment on so I will add this

there are some important points to note in building the layers to a perfect curry and Salt is one of them !

In the very beginning  before there where oceans on this planet salts was everywhere  .  Without the debate of how the ocean got here ! Thy did and with it came the rain ! Rain washed out all the soluble salts from the land , down to the ocean ! Result being ocean salty ! land not ! 

By definition that which remains when sea water evaporates is salt ! Only if man could just leave it like that  !!!  Salts are however deliquescent ? Thy absorb water out of the air ! And dam this makes it hard to get out of the salt shaker sometimes ! Enter mr Saxa, who figures Sodium chloride , one of the components of sea salt ,  Is not so deliquescent so I will remove all the other important minerals from sea salt except sodium chloride and sell that to the people ! Thy will love it as there salt shakers will not clog up !

So here's the thing, and the curry connection for those still following this ! How many times have you heard some one say " I love curry but it has to much salt in it so I have to avoid it "

Thanks to mr Saxa we all get far to much refined sodium in our diets ! But if we used sea salt !  we would not only get sodium but a lot more of the other very important salts and minerals that up until 1911 we all got naturally from sea salt ! Man we upset the balance  for the dumbest reasons !

So when I say Salt !! I mean sea salt ! Not common table salt ! ,

The difference in depth between the two salts  to cooking is one of those things that makes a difference ! Yes some will  argue that sea salt will not lower your sodium but it sure provides you with a balance of important minerals that also react in some way with the  cooking chemistry and those favors balancing in a curry .

Himalayan pink salt same thing as sea salt !  Beats me how salt got up that high though !

Humans could not survive without salt ! It is one thing we can not get from what we eat ! Our dependence and need for it has  shaped our evolution !

It is part of food chemistry ! We all know what porridge taste like with salt added and without salt !

I wish I could be as strong as some and remove as much salt from my diet as I could  but would not remove it all and not from a curry !

;)

Offline Davegrc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 05:49 PM »
I know I will have to take shit on my spelling and grammar ! This site being British based is like having to correspond to my English teacher  ;D ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes