Author Topic: use of salt in currys  (Read 18803 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: use of salt in currys
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 06:07 PM »
This site being British based is like having to correspond to my English teacher  ;D ;D

Correspond with, not correspond to.  The two meanings of "correspond" are completely different.  3/10, see me.

:)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 06:13 PM »

;)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Why is it some recipes and chefs say "Add salt to taste" does that mean you cant taste anything at all without salt, or  does it mean to taste the salt. Add salt to make it salty would make sense very confusing :D

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Add taste with salt and salt to taste the salt then taste the taste of salt added to taste, wheres the confusion Ox?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 07:57 PM »
This site being British based is like having to correspond to my English teacher  ;D ;D

Correspond with, not correspond to.  The two meanings of "correspond" are completely different.  3/10, see me.

:)

It actually works both ways Phil. Correspond to as in compares to means, in this context, that he needs to compare to or match the skills of his English teacher - although the meaning is implicit. How do we manage to stray so far from BIR chat?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Why is it some recipes and chefs say "Add salt to taste" does that mean you cant taste anything at all without salt, or  does it mean to taste the salt. Add salt to make it salty would make sense very confusing :D

It is short for "to your taste".  In other words, add as much or as little salt as you personally feel appropriate.

** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 10:26 PM »
It actually works both ways Phil. Correspond to as in compares to means, in this context, that he needs to compare to or match the skills of his English teacher - although the meaning is implicit.

A computer program could arguably be forgiven for believing that "This site being British based is like having to correspond to my English teacher" is good idiomatic English; a sentient human being, on the other hand, should see without any doubt that "correspond with" is what was intended.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 11:24 PM »
It actually works both ways Phil. Correspond to as in compares to means, in this context, that he needs to compare to or match the skills of his English teacher - although the meaning is implicit.

A computer program could arguably be forgiven for believing that "This site being British based is like having to correspond to my English teacher" is good idiomatic English; a sentient human being, on the other hand, should see without any doubt that "correspond with" is what was intended.

** Phil.

It may read awkwardly and be idiomatically strangled...as indeed it appears to me...but that doesn't make it wrong grammatically. As to what the person really intended; perhaps we'll never know (or care).  ;D

littlechilie

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 11:49 PM »
I like some chips with my salt please ;D

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 10:41 AM »
It may read awkwardly and be idiomatically strangled

I think idiogrammatic  would be a good word there.

And, yes, I did miss out a letter :D

©2024 Curry Recipes