Author Topic: CPs Punjabi Lamb  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
CPs Punjabi Lamb
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:20 PM »
I have put this modification in because in the spirit of this Forum I seem to have posted an authentic curry recipe.  The recipe was created by me in an attempt replicate the curries made by the Everest Restaurant on Portland St Manchester city centre.   If anyone has eaten there you will recognise, I hope, the similarity.  I accept it is one of those difficult areas of definition, but if you are not a purist and you do not include the methi leaves and coriander you can treat this as a base.  I keep small pots of this frozen base for when I am doing this recipe for my customer takeaways.  My apologies to one and all

Well here it is good people.  The reason I use PC's curry powder is because it has already got all the flavours and ingredients I would normally use for this dish anyway;  it is almost Nepalese in flavour  I suppose you could use other powders or even make your own.  The important thing is to get a blend that represents Punjabi regional cooking from the far North.  A Kashmiri or Gurkha (Nepalese) powder/recipe would work well I think.  Anyway the strength and subtlety is down to the roasting of the spices. 

CP?s Punjabi Lamb

This recipe uses a curry powder and Garam Masala from Pat Chapman?s restaurant curry books.  They are recipes given to him by his Mum I believe.

You will need the following

I leg of Lamb boned, fat and sinew removed, and cut into 2 inch pieces.  I butcher my own meats and strip out the muscular meat so that it cooks properly.  This is too complex to explain here, but you should always cut meat at an angle across the grain. 

You can use boned shoulder but remember that it cooks quicker and breaks up if you are not careful. 

If you want to go ethnic then ask your butcher to simply remove the fat and band-saw whichever joint you use in to slices including the bones, and then cut into smaller pieces as described; a helal butcher will know exactly what to do.  This will of course extend the cooking time and flavour.  You could use a slow cooker for the final cooking time.

2 cups of Chilli Prawn?s Barga Onion base (a cup is 250ml)
1 560gm tin of chopped plum tomatoes (or the equivalent amount of Passata).
1 Dsp Tomato paste (concentrate)
I cup of Pat Chapman?s curry powder (you can use more if you wish)
1 Tblspn of aromatic Garam Masala (Pat Chapman?s is good)
1 Dsp of Methi seeds (Whole)
1 Dsp of Methi leaves (Kasuri dry or fresh)
1 Dsp medium chilli powder
1 Dsp salt
? tsp black pepper
1 or 2 cups of natural live yoghurt.
Handful of chopped fresh coriander (stalks and leaves **)
2 cups of Ghee or Groundnut oil

Method

Heat the oil in a heavy pan
Add the Methi seeds fry for 3-4 seconds
Add Onion Barga base and Tomato paste
Bring back to high heat and add the curry powder
Reduce to low heat and stir constantly to avoid sticking and burning for 2 minutes, add more oil if needed
Add Methi leaves, fresh Coriander, chilli powder, half the salt, and black pepper.
Turn heat to medium and stir for a further 2 minutes until oil rises and separates.  If this does not happen add more oil.
Add yoghurt a little at a time (wait for oil to rise before you add more)
Add lamb pieces and turn the heat up high, stir fry until lamb has started to turn grey (sealed), but do not brown.
Add tinned tomatoes
Cover the pan and cook on the lowest hob heat or in an oven at 90 degrees C.
Check occasionally to make sure it does not?t dry up. Add only milk if needed, please don?t add stock or water. ****
Cooking time will vary according to the quality of lamb and the nuances of your pan/hob/oven, so cook until the lamb is how you like it.  Be careful because if you overcook lamb it will break up.

Add remaining salt to taste and then add Garam Masala.

Cook for about 5 minutes (until aroma of masala rises)

And serve.

Notes/Tips

?   Onion base is simply fried whole spices (Green Cardamom, Cinnamon or Cassia, Cloves, Bay leaves) fried with finely chopped onion and garlic.
?   Water can explode spices and release the flavour too quickly, so milk is the safest and gives a better taste.
?   Coriander stalks are bitter and should never be used in a dish garnish or finisher

?   Remember to roast spices separately from eachother as each has a different time to reach its critical roast/flavour point.

I am sure you will have many questions and I will answer as best as I can.  FYI I usuall cook about 3-4 large legs of lamb in one batch.  It does freeze well.  As always the quantities are not critical but the ratios of spice and other ingredients are; for this is what distinguishes one curry from the rest.... Yes?

Happy Cooking as always
C P
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 03:31 PM by Chilli Prawn »

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: CPs Punjabi Lamb
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 02:45 PM »
Hi CP
Many thank's for this recipe :D

I shall try this recipe shortly and report back with my findings I intend using Lamb on the bone (Halal) Flavour Flavour Flavour I know I can't help it !

The recipe look's good thank you once again.
 ;) Layne

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 02:57 PM »
If anyone wants Pat's curry powder and GM recipes I will post it.  I am sure he would not mind; even be proud!

Happy Cooking
C P

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 01:30 PM »
I use pats GM recipe out of his curry bible (its got about 50 ingredients  ;D) and I have to say Im impressed with it, the aromatics from it are gorgeous

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 03:34 PM »
Yes Mark, they are very reminiscent of the flavours of Northern India .  The powder does mature well as it gets older providing it is kept out of the heat in a dark place.  This is the only recipe I use it for as I feel it is a little to strong for other things, but it can be used as a base to create other dishes I suppose, I have never bothered to try.

Happy Cooking
C P

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 01:30 PM »
Did someone mention a DARK place lol  ;D

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Yes it where the Holy Grail lies.  Only those of iron will, and cast iron guts can venture there ;D

CP

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 09:14 PM »
I'm on my way young apprentice  ;D

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 10:13 AM »
I like your humour.  (off topic) I like your humour my family are fanatic Star Wars fans and have even gone to the marathon showings.  Wife & Son can repeat the dialogue almost word for word.  Anyway in terms of the BIR Grail it is I oh Master that is the Apprentice I feel.

CP

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 10:19 AM »
Can the secret of "the taste" be learned?
Yes...but not from a Jedi  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes