Author Topic: Rick Stein's India  (Read 24383 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Rick Stein's India
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 09:29 AM »
I've enjoyed the series too - not least for the glimpse it provided of the tremendous diversity of cooking styles that India offers. (And of course Mr Stein's refreshing honesty and wonderfully laissez-faire approach to all he encounters.)

I've only made one of the dishes from the series so far, but I'm looking forward to trying some of the others. The one I've already made is the mutton Rogan Josh, which is simple and delicious (and is cooked almost BIR style, using precooked meat). If you missed it then it's about 20m 50s into the programme here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b037mxgf/Rick_Steins_India_Episode_6/

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 09:32 AM »
I bought the Kindle version of the book recently - and a very substantial read it is too! I've only had time to briefly browse the book, but it looks good value for my

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 12:57 PM »
IPlayer doesn't work for me, embedded in this site. what a pain. :-\

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Just of interest for those who want to view and/or keep BBC programmes, there is a piece of software called get_iplayer which will download any IPlayer programme and save it as a .mp4 file to your computer.

It works for any TV programme currently available on IPlayer. Just do a search for it and follow the download instructions.

When you run the programme, it pops up in a command-line windows and you have to type in commands to get it to work. This will be a bit scary for those who only point-and-click, but its not too complicated.

For example, if you wanted to get all of the Rick Stein series, you would simply type this:

get_iplayer --get stein

This command will download and save all 6 programmes to your computer which you can then view in any mp4-capable player.

Hope this helps. :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Funny but I've also enjoyed the programme and for the first time I've given some thought to the possibility of going to India, something I've not considered before.

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 12:47 PM »
So, is anyone going to try his favourite fish curry? I was thinking of having a go but with chicken (probably not quite the same, but not really a fishy person), to see if it is as good as rick says it is.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Just noticed that episode 2 that i posted cuts off at the end so posting this clip of the fish curry.  ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrqhdjfMqgw

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 08:40 AM »
And of course Mr Stein's refreshing honesty and wonderfully laissez-faire approach to all he encounters
I loved the way, at the end of the series, he still champions Madras powder and BIR food
I think he knows that although authentic Indian recipes are fantastic, good BIR can hold it's own any day, against anything

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 06:47 PM »
good BIR can hold it's own any day, against anything

Good, i.e. old style BIR, is better than any traditional curry I've ever tasted.

©2024 Curry Recipes