Author Topic: Rick Stein's India  (Read 24476 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Rick Stein's India
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 06:59 PM »
Good, i.e. old style BIR, is better than any traditional curry I've ever tasted.

Are you comparing BIR with traditional Indian food as prepared in Britain, Santa, or with traditional Indian good as prepared in the sub-continent ?

** Phil.

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 10:29 PM »
One thing I have learned from this series (immensely enjoyable) is 'home style Indian cooking' is not far removed from BIR style. Obviously base gravy is not used in home style because time issues are not a problem at home, but the rest is pretty similar.
Rick Stein done a good job but it would have been great to have someone with expertise in the BIR style field to do this series; I think we would have learned a lot more.
I have purchased the book and I look forward to cooking some of the recipes, with a BIR style, 

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Although I did enjoy the series, and bought the book, I found it a bit disappointing that the Rogan Josh with the per-cooked mutton did not make it into the book. Neither did the Lucknowi fish curry that he heaped praise upon.
I am sure he has enough info for a second book with a few of the more obscure curries within.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Really enjoyed the series and book.  Started to learn some of the history of India.  If the telly do something again along the same lines I'd like to see Sanjay (vahchef) hosting it. That would also make for quality entertainment! 

Rob  :)

Offline Kylie1969

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 08:38 AM »
We watched this recently and loved it, very interesting series...and yes, needed a good curry afterwards too  ;D

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2021, 02:11 AM »
I know this is a very old thread but it seemed to be the best place to post.

I managed to buy 2 whole legs of lamb the other day for a bargain price.  I can never walk past reduced price lamb.  I boned them out and froze one.  It's a very wet and "inside" day today so the other leg is currently being transformed into 2 of Rick Stein's dishes form the India series and book. Boned out I ended up with 1.945 kg of diced lamb chunks. Close enough to 2 X 1 kg dishes.

I'm nearly finished the Mr Singh's Slow-cooked Mutton (Lamb) Curry with Cloves and Cardamom and the other half of the leg is marinating in the fridge in preparation for the Cochin First-Class Railway Mutton (Lamb) Curry, which I've timed to start right after the first one is done.  These will be rested tonight and eaten for tomorrows nights dinner.

I've cooked the Mr Singh's Curry in the stove-top pressure cooker but I'm only putting the pressure on for the final 40 minute stage after the Tomato, Cloves and Cardamom go in.  I've just done this right now so 40 minutes to go. I'll pressure cook for 20 minutes, allow to de-pressurize then reduce it with the lid off for 10.

I've made a few additions to the Railway Curry after reading through a few other recipes for Railway Curry.   I'm going to include some Fennel seed and a Black Cardamom and I'll be putting a couple of chunked potatoes in the casserole dish for the oven cook at low heat for 3 hours.

Very much looking forward to tomorrow night.  I'll be cooking a mixed veggie curry, Pilau Rice and Naan to accompany. If I feel inclined later this afternoon I may try to make up some home-made Samosa.  I have some lamb mince and peas in the freezer so I'd possibly do some meat and some Aloo for the vegetarians.

The house smells wonderful.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2021, 01:43 PM »
Man, if you need a British butler, I?m happy to work for food...

Robbo

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2021, 02:24 PM »
Sounds very interesting, Livo, but I am intrigued by the fact that you started by boning (or should that be "de-boning" ?) the lamb.  Do you not find that you get a more intense "lambey" flavour if you leave the bone in ?  Or is it just that you don't have a band-saw and didn't fancy cutting through the bone with a hacksaw ?

** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2021, 05:23 PM »
It's true that, on principal, meat is better cooked on the bone (and under skin, for that matter, where applicable) as the bone (specifically of course the marrow) adds flavour. Shame to waste it livo!

Mind you: What. A. Feast.

Much leftovers?!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2021, 08:27 PM »
Man, if you need a British butler, I?m happy to work for food...

Robbo
You would have enjoyed your pay this week. :smiling eyes:

©2024 Curry Recipes