Author Topic: Rick Stein's India  (Read 24389 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rick Stein's India
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2021, 08:49 PM »
Phil, I have a bandsaw but I don't use it for meat or fish.  I agree that cooking the bone does add flavour. Unfortunately I'd already passed the bones to my daughter's partner for his dog.  The Mr Singh recipe (in written form) called for off the bone, but I did go to the market to see if there were any lamb bones. There wasn't but the dishes turned out just fine. No doubt the original was with bone and from memory there was discussion of it being a male goat.  The recipe for Railway said shanks which would be delicious.

Surprisingly, my son, daughter and wife all preferred Mr Singh's curry.  I can't say I did as I enjoyed both. Mr Singh's curry is interesting because there's next to nothing in it, except chilli. A very meaty comfort food curry and being slow-cooked and finished under pressure it had the melt in the mouth lamb texture. I reduced chilli for my family as usual.

Plenty of leftovers Onions. I made our favourite Navratan and the meat and Aloo Samosa. They are a lot of work but very tasty. I'll post links to the recipes I used in an appropriate thread.

(Phil, to "bone out" a piece of meat or chicken is the same as to "de-bone".  Down here a person would ask a butcher, "Would you bone that out for me please?" and the result would be considered as being "boned out".)

A True Australian Story. I was an Industrial Arts Teacher with access to typical workshop machinery, as were my colleagues.  One Summer, a week or so before school resumed, one colleague, let's call him Craney (real name), went fishing and was lucky enough to catch a prized 30 kg Jewfish (Mulloway).  Quite a large creature and a prized catch.  He decided that the best thing to do was to take it to school and use the Band-Saw in "his room" to cut it up.  The unfortunate thing is that he didn't see the need to clean the Band-saw, and being in a parquetry floored room it was hardly designed for water, so he just left it.  When the school term resumed the following week, in 40'C heat, there was a small problem.  I have never used a shop band-saw for food.  My family used to run a seafood shop and the local butcher used to balk at fish unless there was something in it for him.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:55 AM by livo »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2021, 10:33 AM »
"there was a small problem ...".  I think that qualifies for Meiosis of the Year award !  I remember the first time I watched a butcher from the sub-continent using a band saw to cut through goat

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2021, 10:56 AM »
Yes. I've watched butchers cut meat with the entire cutting range of the saw exposed. Extremely contrary to all of my training in safe operation of machinery.

©2024 Curry Recipes