Author Topic: Opinions on ghee  (Read 6839 times)

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Opinions on ghee
« on: June 23, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Hi, made a butter chicken yesterday and used a teaspoon of ghee as recommended and found that I really don't like the tang of it. What are your guys opinions?

Ed

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on ghee
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:25 PM »
Hi, made a butter chicken yesterday and used a teaspoon of ghee as recommended and found that I really don't like the tang of it. What are your guys opinions?

I have found that there can be an enormous difference between the flavour amd aroma of (the contents of) two tins of ghee, even of identical brand, depending on how they have been stored,  I will now buy my ghee only from a refgigerated display, never from an ambient temperature shelf.  Ghee from the latter can sometimes taste foul and rancid.  Fresh ghee, however, definitely adds a certain je ne sais quoi to many BIR dishes (pulao rice, for example, or mushroom bhaji).

** Phil.

Offline currylover40

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 01:59 PM »
Just bought some ghee , never have before. Should i refrigerate it or keep in cupboard ?
Seems to be mixed opinions when i've done a search.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Just bought some ghee , never have before. Should i refrigerate it or keep in cupboard ?
Seems to be mixed opinions when i've done a search.

According to this F.A.Q, there is no need to refrigerate ghee.
http://www.pureindianfoods.com/ghee-faq-a/254.htm

I stopped refrigerating mine, because not only it is difficult to spoon off a specific amount of ghee out of the tin when solid (i.e refrigerated) and it also took a considerable amount of space in the fridge

Regarding the topic, ghee is good, it adds sort of a buttery flavour and thickens the sauce somewhat, but one of the main issues is that it starts to solidify as the food goes cold. I picked a tip from bengali bob to  mix of veg oil and ghee to try and prevent that effect.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 03:03 PM »
Ghee can be refrigerated, but it doesn't have to. That's, somehow, the whole point of it ;P It will stay fine for months, if stored dark and dry at room temperatures, and up to a year, if refrigerated. So it's totally up to you (:

Just make sure to use a clean spoon (:

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 05:39 PM »
I stopped refrigerating mine, because not only it is difficult to spoon off a specific amount of ghee out of the tin when solid (i.e refrigerated) ...
Never have that problem -- I use an ice-cream scoop (which is why you will see "1/3 ice-cream scoop of ghee" in my recipe for perfect pulao !).

** Phil.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 06:29 PM »
ED
I refrigerate Animal Ghee because its dairy and because I don't use it too often and don't like
leaving it in a semi molten state in the hot kitchen.
Vegetable Ghee on the other hand I leave out and class as oil and usually the tub has a BB date of at least 18 months, No Worries!
Both have a rancid type of Aroma when heated, both different.

A Tarka with veg ghee is a far better cook than oil, especially onions. Can't explain why, it just is.
I often do a 50/50 mix V.Ghee and Oil and it works well.

Another interesting fact about V.Ghee, is it will separate from the cooked Masala much better
than V.Oil, in fact nearly 90% of the V.Ghee can be reclaimed after its done its job.

Also, as far as old school curries go, BIR curries were mostly cooked with V.Ghee.
"I cook your curry in Ghee" used to be a well known saying.

Animal Ghee is an aquired taste, but 1tsp shouldn't be a killer. ???
cheers Chewy
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:50 PM by chewytikka »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Never have that problem -- I use an ice-cream scoop  in my recipe
** Phil.

Speaking of which, how about using a mechanical ice cream scoop for bhaji's or pakoras?  8)

Offline currylover40

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 06:56 PM »
I think it makes sense to now refrigerate, as i will only be using very minuscule amount's a couple of time's a week.
I just used a full teaspoon in a phall added half way through cooking and found the taste of ghee a little over powering, so i will half that amount.
Thanks chaps

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 07:06 PM »
CL40
Did you buy Butter Ghee (Animal) or Veg Ghee?
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes