Author Topic: For those of you with Ebooks.....  (Read 12516 times)

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
For those of you with Ebooks.....
« on: June 24, 2013, 12:53 PM »
I was thinking of getting CBMs ebooks, but I have a query. Can you print them out? Surely it would be a pain to have your kindle/tablet next to your cooker and ingredients?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: For those of you with Ebooks.....
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 01:13 PM »
I was thinking of getting CBMs ebooks, but I have a query. Can you print them out? Surely it would be a pain to have your kindle/tablet next to your cooker and ingredients?

You can print at a maximum of 150dpi, which should be more than adequate.
** Phil.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 01:57 PM »
I printed volume one, wouldn't bother with volume 2.

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 02:03 PM »
You can unlock and print any PDF at whatever resolution you like.

http://www.pdfunlock.com/

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 03:40 PM »
You can unlock and print any PDF at whatever resolution you like.

http://********/
Perhaps you can.  But is it ethical to do so ?  Is Mick (a major contributor to the BIR field) going to feel that it is worth his while writing further volumes in the series if others then make a public statement telling all CR0 members how to circumvent his protection.  I believe you should edit your post retrospectively and remove that information; it is in all our interests to keep Mick and his fellow authors on our side, and we won't achieve that if we make public statements not only saying that the protection /can/ be unlocked but also giving the exact URL that makes it possible.

** Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 04:07 PM »
What if the owner decided to put an expiry on the document?

And in 6 months time you cannot open the file that you paid for?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 04:07 PM »
Does anyone know a way of unlocking the digital rights controls on Kindle books? A year or two ago, I downloaded software which took screen images as the basis for conversion to a pdf file. It was trial software, so there are ugly watermarks over each page. Now, the website has gone, perhaps shut down under pressure by Amazon.

I agree with Phil about certain ethics but, on the other hand, a few of the Kindle books I paid for and downloaded in 2012, somehow expired. It was a real pain to sort it out and be able to read them again. That never used to happen with printed books. I'm keen to convert them all to pdf format in order that I take control, rather than be at the mercy of Amazon.

An application called Calibre will convert ebooks to pdf as long as they are not digitally locked, so unlocking is the first step. Can it be done?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 04:07 PM »

Why's that? Don't you rate volume 2?

Offline diverdil

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 04:29 PM »
book 1 and book 2 are both excellent publications. I have learnt more from mick and his books than anyone else within the BIR world. worth every penny in my opinion.

book 2 has some excellent recipes and I highly recommend it to you

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 04:45 PM »
I can't help but grin at the fact that Phil is questioning the ethics of pdfunlock and george is asking for help on how to unlock digital rights. Suddenly I get this flashback from an old post where George lectured Phil on ethics and moral because he posted copyrighted ebooks (or links) to the forum .

Isn't irony a bitch?  ::)

Why's that? Don't you rate volume 2?

It's an OK book, I don't think it's as important as v1. I also can't say I didn't learnt a lot from it (the new base is decent, the others recipes are ok) but they didn't really match my expectations (can't please everyone, alright.) Given the knowledge I possess, I would probably saved my money if I knew what the content was going to be, but, it is worth the money. It's just that the content does not really match what I am looking for.

©2024 Curry Recipes