Author Topic: C.T.M.  (Read 2722 times)

Offline wardy11

• Chef
    • View Profile
C.T.M.
« on: October 06, 2006, 05:22 PM »
Hi , the c.t.m. that we get from our local has a definite almond taste to it. yet i dont see it in any of the recipes on the site. could anyone throw any light on this. cheers.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: C.T.M.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 05:54 PM »
Hi Marc.
Some Bir's put different ingredients in a dish, not so much as to change the dish from the original intended, but to add something unique to it & give it their own touch/signature, & if like yourself you go there to buy the said dish then their slight change has done the job.
Also depending from what part of the Asian world they come from also helps influence the ingredients slightly, i think Almonds are used in Kashmir dishes.
Hope this gives some insight.

.....DARTHPHALL..... 8)

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 06:44 PM »
Darth summed it up very well.. thats about the size of it, if you have an almondy taste to your CTM.. think about the different ways almonds can be added to the finished dish..
everything from whole almonds to marzipan, go and experiment and write up your results..

btw Hydrogen cyanide is a colorless gas with a faint, bitter, almond-like odor..
but i wouldnt wanna try it ;)

there are actually 2 types of almonds.. sweet and bitter, i know these because its a common ingredient in a swedish christmas drink.. try both or a combination of both and see what happens

Good luck
Regards Ashes

Offline wardy11

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 07:52 PM »
Thanks for that info. Making one sat. night.  I,ll have a bit of an experiment. 

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 01:56 AM »
Hi Marc,

I generally add 2 tbsp (or so) of almond powder ('meal") to my Tikka Masalas (see here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1182.0) and Kormas (see here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1183.0)

Simply add it towards the end of cooking (together with any coconut, etc)

I sometimes also use it my hotter curries......if my fancy takes me  8)

It is particularly useful for thickening up a curry that is otherwise too runny. 

Although I've never tried it, I guess you could also try a drop or two of almond essence, for a stronger almond flavour, but be very careful not to overdo it!  :P

Hope this helps?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 02:27 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline wardy11

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 09:50 AM »
Hi, thanks for the tips. Made ctm last night using darths base and parts of two recipes from the site. Added two tbls of ground almonds . Superb. Cheers.

©2024 Curry Recipes