Author Topic: How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.  (Read 53276 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Come on (Phil [Chaa006]) i know you want to say something. believe it or not i want to hear it.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 08:26 PM »
Yaawwwnnnnn.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Yaawwwnnnnn.

Thanks Phil, that says it all ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:43 PM by h4ppy-chris »

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 09:06 PM »
From what I understand from Chris' previous posts this secret or special ingredient is something that has never been mentioned before either on here or in any of the many BIR books out there.I have no idea quite what this secret ingredient could be,although I obviously cannot wait to find out! I find it amazing that if there is a truly groundbreaking idea that someone has not found it out before on here,bearing in mind the amount of BIR kitchens our members on here have been into.Like I said can't wait to find out.

JB, there is NO secret ingredient, herb or spice. Its all about how you cook them!
Think of it like this, a peice of bread tastes like bread, now toast it! you have not added anything to it! but it taste different? don't it?.

"I find it amazing that if there is a truly groundbreaking idea that someone has not found it out before on here,bearing in mind the amount of BIR kitchens our members on here have been into."

me too!

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Chris. Does the "magic" not involve a bagar/tempering of G/G paste, whole/powdered spices, and tomato etc., of some sort?  Or are you introducing the whole spices via the pre-cooks (chicken etc.). If not I am really looking forward to see how it's done.  The base does look a bit of greaser so far, but I've not seen the finished result yet.

Rob  :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 10:14 PM »
It looked pretty basic and unoriginal to me.

May I just say, as someone who has joined very recently, this site seems to be full of in-fighting and people trying to sell recipes in the guise of 'e-books'.

I don't think I'll be here for long

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Chris. Does the "magic" not involve a bagar/tempering of G/G paste, whole/powdered spices, and tomato etc., of some sort?

That's exactly what it is. Secret..pffft! ::)

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 02:01 AM »
Interesting vid, Chris. Many thanks for posting.

My best guess on the 'mystery ingredient' is that it's a bhagar comprising tomato, garlic/ginger paste, and the usual spice suspects (a la Zaal, Little India, etc. See: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/imagehost/#3e6b0bf1da120db7d8e5bd18a0265c48.jpg).

Or something very much like it?

Please can you explain what a bhagar is and how it's used in BIR cooking? An example recipe would be good aswell. ;-)

Thanks

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2013, 02:11 AM »
Please can you explain what a bhagar is and how it's used in BIR cooking? An example recipe would be good aswell. ;-)

Baghar is a tempering technique. Most curry dishes start with a baghar of very hot oil, g&g, spices (mix or whole). It's basically an infusion of g&g and spices into the oil.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 02:32 AM »
Thanks so presumably by doing this you're altering the flavour/cooking out any bitterness of the g&g and spices etc. Is this mixture always added to the garabi or is it ever added at the "cooking" stage aswell?

©2024 Curry Recipes