Author Topic: How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.  (Read 53287 times)

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2013, 07:38 PM »
I know what it is, I won't reveal though as I don't want to spoil the ebook.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2013, 09:48 PM »
I know what it is,

Yes, I'm sure you do

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2013, 05:52 AM »

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2013, 08:45 AM »
Okey How do you make a Baghar?

I'll have a quick go at some point (nothing particularly new mind) but come on Chris, how good is this TA of yours?  Seems popular from the vids you made, plenty of orders coming in, but how does it shape up against the local competition?  I know it's all highly subjective but you must have eaten loads of curries from different places and have a fair idea of quality.  Also, are you able to reproduce this level of quality in your own kitchen?

Rob  :)

Yes Rob you're right i have tasted loads of curries from all over the place. The vids are shot on a monday night, the quietest night of the week. Friday, sat, and sunday there is 3 chefs cooking and 5 guys delivering, plus people that pick up their food. One chef has been in the trade for 50 years!

"are you able to reproduce this level of quality in your own kitchen?"

I have to be able to Rob or there is no point in me doing this book.

Anything else mate just ask.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2013, 09:05 AM »
It could be a regional thing

Quite possibly. Just because something is a "secret ingredient" in one locality doesn't mean it will be in any other part of the country. Even if Chris has come up with something new (and I doubt he has) it doesn't mean it'll satisy everyone.

SS you keep going on with these cheap shots all you are doing is making yourself look like a fool.
You think! you know it all, if you do then stop with the crap and tell everyone just how to get to the 100% bir curry.

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2013, 09:42 AM »
I don't think there is such a thing as 100% BIR as they are so many variations depending on where in the country you are. For example it seems the scots call a tomato ketchup based monstrosity a 'curry' where this wouldn't make it to the menu in England.

A lot of the bases here are 100% BIR but a lot of people seem to have to replicate their local toakeaway or for them its not real BIR.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2013, 09:59 AM »
I have to be able to Rob or there is no point in me doing this book.

There is a fine difference between being able to mimick your chef's cooking (i.e get exactly the same results as he generally gets) and being able to successfully repeat a recipe, using the same techniques. Both are different things, and I think Bob was trying to understand the former,not the latter.

I can get good results in my kitchen, but no matter how hard I try, I know I will never be able to get the results of my favorite BIR with all their recipes. There is more to do it than meets the eye, equipment and/or tastebuds.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2013, 03:44 PM »
Chris just ignore the snide remarks and get the book out ASAP....lol.

As I said, i will deffo be a customer. I've been given grief for sharing knowledge on here, but whatever i am doing, our customers seem to like it. Maybe I have been away from UK too long to know whether our curries are "true BIR". But, as far as Perth goes, we are closer than anybody else by a long way. if i can get even closer, i will be in your debt. 8)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Chris just ignore the snide remarks and get the book out ASAP....lol.

As I said, i will deffo be a customer. I've been given grief for sharing knowledge on here, but whatever i am doing, our customers seem to like it. Maybe I have been away from UK too long to know whether our curries are "true BIR". But, as far as Perth goes, we are closer than anybody else by a long way. if i can get even closer, i will be in your debt. 8)

Yep get that book out Chris,the suspense is just too much!!

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Hi

I think Santa Claus will be your biggest customer.

Regards

©2024 Curry Recipes