Author Topic: How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.  (Read 53269 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2013, 04:34 PM »
I guess a BIR paradigm shift needs padding out with a few curry recipes, in order for it to have more widespread appeal.  Seem to remember Chris saying the book would be out after Julian's; could have got that wrong though.

Rob  :)

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2013, 02:30 PM »
 A few questions.

When will this ebook be out?

Is this ebook free?

Why not just tell us what the ingredient is, I thought the idea of this site was sharing experiences and information , not saying theres a secret ingredient and keeping it to yourself for months.

Come on play the game........

Offline charlie180

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2013, 09:53 PM »
why put a base sauce recipe on this forum if no one knows whats in it ......whats is the point m8

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2013, 04:03 AM »
Kashmiri masala

Offline makum101

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Hmm I was led here after watching Chris's base vid on youtube.

After reading all your bickering on here I doubt this ebook is actually going to happen - Pity.

Back to Julian's book it is then

:'(

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2013, 09:16 PM »
After reading all your bickering on here I doubt this ebook is actually going to happen - Pity.

I think it will happen I just don't believe it'll bring anything new to the table. I base that on Chris's comments, the videos and the fact that he passed over using the experience of another cook at the same restaurant who's had 45 years experience and might have revealed the old-style techniques. Now that would be worth waiting for.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2014, 07:20 PM »
STILL NO EBOOK CHRIS

Offline JamesJeffery

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2014, 06:25 PM »
The secret to the oil guys and girls is onion bhaji's. You make the onion bhaji's in the oil, and the oil left over is the one used in this video. Most, if not all, takeaways will make their oil the same way.

I know this is an older thread, but I arrived here from a Facebook post about a guy asking what this oil is. So, yeah, now you know :D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2014, 06:45 PM »
Thanks JJ, I admire your intent to share info with us, but you'll find this has been discussed here before and is far from clear cut, even though you may have read about it in Julian's books. No doubt some BIRs do adopt this method but it's not clear that the practice is very widespread. There's an awful lot which Julian asserts as fact which is somewhat questionable IMHO. You'll find a lot more reliable info here I would suggest, although it pays to be selective in who you listen to. Good luck :)

Offline JamesJeffery

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Thanks JJ, I admire your intent to share info with us, but you'll find this has been discussed here before and is far from clear cut, even though you may have read about it in Julian's books. No doubt some BIRs do adopt this method but it's not clear that the practice is very widespread. There's an awful lot which Julian asserts as fact which is somewhat questionable IMHO. You'll find a lot more reliable info here I would suggest, although it pays to be selective in who you listen to. Good luck :)

Hey Natterjak, yeah I guessed it may have been discussed. I've not been here for a while, and just wanted to point it out incase anyone arrived from YouTube here.

I like Julian's books, it's the "closest" I've got to a takeaway dish. It doesn't mimik the high end restaurants in my area who charge ?15 for a curry! But they do taste better than the crappy places around here. So it's a step forward in improving my takeaway style curry dishes - although I still enjoy classic recipes.

I'll check out some other threads on this cooking method.

©2024 Curry Recipes