Author Topic: How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.  (Read 53051 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:16 PM »
I have put this up so you know what you are getting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A91qv2O5eQw
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:37 PM by h4ppy-chris »

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:39 PM »
I can't wait
I'm fairly sure I know the "mystery" ingredient
But I want to know for sure
I saw this done at a takeaway
I tried their gravy,and it had the taste I was after
Then I cooked it at home, and it didn't
How long for the book now Chris?

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:15 PM »
I can't wait

I would love to know what you think the "mystery" ingredient is? PM me if you don't want to put it on here.
Here is what is taking the time to get the book finished. Every monday i go to the TA to video the curries being made (i know poor me) 1st monday videoed every curry that was made. 2nd monday, now i have to wait for someone to order a curry that i have not filmed. Last week not one video was shot, this week 3. All the time i have to stand there and watch curries being made and eat a staff curry  :( Then someone will call me in to the back to show me how to make naan dough or rice, or something. Then if that's not enough i have to go home, watch the vids, write the recipes down and make them ffs lol.
Then edit the vids and fill the book in.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 08:54 PM »
I can't wait

I would love to know what you think the "mystery" ingredient is? PM me if you don't want to put it on here.
Here is what is taking the time to get the book finished. Every monday i go to the TA to video the curries being made (i know poor me) 1st monday videoed every curry that was made. 2nd monday, now i have to wait for someone to order a curry that i have not filmed. Last week not one video was shot, this week 3. All the time i have to stand there and watch curries being made and eat a staff curry  :( Then someone will call me in to the back to show me how to make naan dough or rice, or something. Then if that's not enough i have to go home, watch the vids, write the recipes down and make them ffs lol.
Then edit the vids and fill the book in.

Your life is really hard. I suggest you change your username to unh4ppy-chris.  :P

Good video, I like the simplicity of the base. As haldi says, I can't wait to find out the secret ingredient too!

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:06 PM »
I too, am looking forward to the book, I can't help wondering though Chris how much curry are you actually getting through for this ebook? That pot seems huge for the home cook! Have you road tested a scaled down version? My missus would go mad freezing that amount of base gravy as we'd have no room left for anything else lol! ;D

Wayne

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing - very interesting, the mysterious ingredient looks like a kind of oily paste... I was going to suggest a Pataks curry paste of some type (but that doesn't fit as you said the TA made it) or perhaps all the reclaimed oil off (or maybe a dollop from) the hundreds of curries that were cooked at the TA that weekend, but then that would be a chicken and egg scenario - you can't make the curries without the base, and you need the finished curries to get the reclaimed oil to add to the base - how do you start from scratch then?  ???

Any other guesses?

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Ok Chris you've got me now,very very interesting video indeed.I've been lurking on here for ages now,not posting much but this has certainly grabbed my attention.Looking forward to your forthcoming book.I've brought so many books over the years and chatted to so many people about BIR curry.I have to say I've never seen anything like that added to a base.An onion paste added to a main dish perhaps,but certainly not to a base.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing - very interesting, the mysterious ingredient looks like a kind of oily paste... I was going to suggest a Pataks curry paste of some type (but that doesn't fit as you said the TA made it) or perhaps all the reclaimed oil off (or maybe a dollop from) the hundreds of curries that were cooked at the TA that weekend, but then that would be a chicken and egg scenario - you can't make the curries without the base, and you need the finished curries to get the reclaimed oil to add to the base - how do you start from scratch then?  ???

Any other guesses?

Yeah, it looks like an oily paste. if I were to guess, it appears to be the residue/oil that's left off at the bottom of a pan after precooking chicken and/or lamb, i.e stock+spiced oil+whole spices

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:59 PM »
There's no reclaimed anything or bought pastes.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Looks good, Chris. Looking forward to your book!

I wish I knew the secret ingredient right now, hehe. Looks like some kind of spice paste.

©2024 Curry Recipes