Author Topic: How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.  (Read 53420 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 10:57 AM »
I too, am looking forward to the book, I can't help wondering though Chris how much curry are you actually getting through for this ebook? That pot seems huge for the home cook! Have you road tested a scaled down version? My missus would go mad freezing that amount of base gravy as we'd have no room left for anything else lol! ;D

Wayne

Hi Wayne, I eat Curry every day now. Staff curry for 4 of them, then have a go at the ones in the book.
In the book i will tell you how to make 1 ltr or 50  ;)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 11:01 AM »

I wish I knew the secret ingredient right now, hehe. Looks like some kind of spice paste.

Looks like Caramelised onions to me ???

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 11:05 AM »

I wish I knew the secret ingredient right now, hehe. Looks like some kind of spice paste.

Looks like Caramelised onions to me ???

Sorry Les no onions in there.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 02:00 PM »
Interesting vid, Chris. Many thanks for posting.

My best guess on the 'mystery ingredient' is that it's a bhagar comprising tomato, garlic/ginger paste, and the usual spice suspects (a la Zaal, Little India, etc. See: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/imagehost/#3e6b0bf1da120db7d8e5bd18a0265c48.jpg).

Or something very much like it?

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 02:08 PM »

My best guess on the 'mystery ingredient' is that it's a bhagar comprising tomato, garlic/ginger paste, and the usual spice suspects (a la Zaal, Little India, etc. See: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/imagehost/#3e6b0bf1da120db7d8e5bd18a0265c48.jpg).

As I made a base yesterday a new base (private recipe until further notice) which included a stage 2 with similar ingredients plus coconut which resulted in a similar consistency, I am suspecting this may be it as well.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 03:04 PM »
I appreciate your putting this up to promote your book again,but its a bit like watching paint dry h4ppy,
be more entertaining if you rehearsed the recipe and followed a script out of your book, before you started.  ;)
(Not knowing how much water to add, as an Example)

Anyhoo, nothing new to me, simple basic garabi with a chilli quirk. (For me, way too much oil.)
Also your secret Bhagar, looks like it has plenty of extra oil too.

I also suggest you might want to lighten up a bit, cooking curry should be fun, you seem to sigh on every sentence.lol :D

Watch Sanjay he cracks me up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6skjbVDVEg4&feature=share&list=PLecDmWZ6vbWQy_dOxogM2GxZ4YDLYy4jP

cheers Chewy

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 04:32 PM »
Thanks for putting this on Chris.

I am very open minded, but to me all that onion (5 KG) with only 1 carrot and a quarter cabbage seems a little strange. No peppers, tomatoes etc......

As I say, I am open minded about this and I will certainly be one of your customers when the book comes out. I would love to know what you are putting in as the "magic" but I will have to wait like everyone else.

I understand that the longer you cook a base, the better it is. we once left a base cooking overnight on top of the tandoor, and it was absolutely the BEST base we have ever made, but we did have loads of other ingredients in there..ie tomatoes, celery, cabbage, peppers, carrots etc.

Hurry up with the book. 8)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 05:07 PM »
Watch Sanjay he cracks me up.
(...)

or:

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 05:08 PM »

As I made a base yesterday a new base (private recipe until further notice) which included a stage 2 with similar ingredients plus coconut which resulted in a similar consistency, I am suspecting this may be it as well.

No coconut mate but, you can taste a hint of coconut in the base and there is none in it.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 05:11 PM »
No coconut mate but, you can taste a hint of coconut in the base and there is none in it.

that is quite odd, how can something taste like coconut, when coconut isn't there? :)

Perhaps the secret ingredient, is one of these essence bottles?  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes