Author Topic: How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.  (Read 53069 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How Base Gravy is made in a Indian Takeaway Video.
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Actually, its close to 5 months.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2013, 04:18 PM »
Looking forward to the arrival of it, not been in the kitchen for a while now so will be good to get back in and start some more cooking

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2013, 06:10 PM »

Knuth's algorithm for estimating actual time required for project completion -- take author's estimate, add one, then go up to the next unit of time.  So, for an author's estimate of six weeks, we add one (yielding seven), then go up to the next unit of time (weeks -> months), leading to a final estimate of seven months. 

Dated this the 29th day of June, in the Year of our Lord Two Thousand and Thirteen (and thus completion expected end-January 2014).

Only time will tell which is the more reliable estimate.

** Phil.

Oh ye of little faith  ;)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2013, 09:07 PM »

This is what chef Abdul posted, and he should know

Quote from: Abdul
Enhancing the gravy

. . .
5.     Pour the readymade gravy into the cooking pot and add 3 pints of water.
Could you remind me (and perhaps others), Haldi -- when Abdul wrote of "readymade gravy", did he have a specific recipe in mind (and if so, could you possibly provide a link) or was this meant to be a method of enhancing /any/ base gravy ?  The reason for asking is that it is, in many ways, very similar to Stage 3 of KD1 gravy preparation, and if I were to take a KD1 gravy to completion and then "enhance" it as per Abdul's spec., I would end up with significantly more tomato per unit of onions than I would normally use.  Indeed, I suspect KD1 base gravy /is/ an "enhanced" base, lacking only the 8-spice mix and substituting paprika & turmeric.

** Phil.

Not sure what to make of KD1 stage 3 Phil, but Abdul's "enhancement" looks to be a bagar (that some Bangladeshi chefs do routinely to make base gravy, amongst other things).  Abdul hasn't really given enough information in his post to use the technique to its full effect.  The oil needs to be very hot.

Rob  :) 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:45 AM by Bengali Bob »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2013, 10:39 AM »
thought the base "part 1" video was really interesting (gives a lot away about the end point ie quality of curry it will produce).

i'm in no doubt the base will pass threshold and is BIR.

for anyone new or struggling the book is clearly going to accelerate their abilities. for most members there's is bound to be something of interest. i myself still have a few main dish recipes that are not cracked.

the magic stuff is clearly bagar. anyone wanting to jump the gun should just try making that part of the parker21 mouchak base - it really is worth making - the smell and taste is heaven.

as for myself and chris i do wish him well. we will have to continue to disagree on quite a few things which i'm happy at. my BIR interest being on what the best BIR do differently to the rest.

just by way of example on the differences you don't have to bagar - i make 3 base regularly of which only 2 use bagar. at the moment the base without the bagar makes the best curry.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2013, 12:19 PM »
thought the base "part 1" video was really interesting (gives a lot away about the end point ie quality of curry it will produce).

i'm in no doubt the base will pass threshold and is BIR.

for anyone new or struggling the book is clearly going to accelerate their abilities. for most members there's is bound to be something of interest. i myself still have a few main dish recipes that are not cracked.

the magic stuff is clearly bagar. anyone wanting to jump the gun should just try making that part of the parker21 mouchak base - it really is worth making - the smell and taste is heaven.

as for myself and chris i do wish him well. we will have to continue to disagree on quite a few things which i'm happy at. my BIR interest being on what the best BIR do differently to the rest.

just by way of example on the differences you don't have to bagar - i make 3 base regularly of which only 2 use bagar. at the moment the base without the bagar makes the best curry.

Cheers Jerry. just so people are not going down the wrong road, it is not a Baghar  ;)

Offline prawnsalad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2013, 01:29 PM »
Hi Chris

Thanks for this video.

Just some basic but important info as to whether I could include this in my curry.

Does your "Magic" addition include any meat or anything derived from it and does it add much time to the prep stage?

Thanks..

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Hi Chris

Thanks for this video.

Just some basic but important info as to whether I could include this in my curry.

Does your "Magic" addition include any meat or anything derived from it and does it add much time to the prep stage?

Thanks..

Hi, No meat at all in any shape or form. It takes from 15 to 20 minutes to make. It is ready when it's ready, once you have watched the vid you will know at what point that is.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2013, 02:20 PM »
just so people are not going down the wrong road, it is not a Baghar  ;)

Don't believe you. And I'll remind you that you said this when you finally get the book out!  ;D

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2013, 05:22 PM »
just so people are not going down the wrong road, it is not a Baghar  ;)

Don't believe you. And I'll remind you that you said this when you finally get the book out!  ;D

And i will be happy to accept your apology.  :P

©2024 Curry Recipes