Author Topic: Base Sauce  (Read 7818 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Base Sauce
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:09 PM »
Before I found this site, I found another one and made a batch or two of their base sauce.

4 x Big onions chopped up roughly.
 50 grams unpeeled fresh ginger chopped up roughly.
 50 grams peeled fresh garlic chopped up roughly.
 6tbs vegetable oil
 1tsp heaped salt
 240g (small) tin of chopped tomatoes
 1tbs tomato puree
 1tsp turmeric
 1tsp Paprika
 2tsp Coriander powder
 2tsp Fenugreek powder
 2tsp Cumin powder
 2tsp Garam masala

Method:

1. Fry the onion in 1tbs of the oil for 10 mins on a low heat until soft & translucent (don?t let them brown as this changes the taste).
 2. Add in the garlic, ginger and salt then add enough water to just cover the top of all ingredients.
 3. Bring it up to the boil then turn down to a light simmer uncovered for around 30 minutes.
 4. While this is simmering, put the rest of the oil (5tbs), the tomatoes, puree, turmeric and paprika into another saucepan ? bring to the boil then simmer for 10 mins on low heat.
 5. Let the 2 mixtures cool down then blend them both separately until they are super smooth.
 6. Combine the mixes and bring to a simmer.
 7. Add the coriander, cumin, fenugreek and garam masala and leave the whole curry base to simmer for 15 minutes.
 8. You need the final sauce to end up being about 1.6 litres - if it's not, add water to this volume now and if there?s too much keep simmering to reduce.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried this one with any recipes on here :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base Sauce
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:04 AM »
Hi Garp,

It may help to include the site where you got it from. I personally can't relate to that recipe myself. I also don't think that these days people are too inclined to try a random base recipes for the sake of it, it's too much trouble/work and if the result isn't satisfactory, it's been a waste of time, food and gas/electricity. In any case, good luck. I tend to try a lot of base recipes, but they need to at least have had 2-3 positive comments and some buzz. :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:25 AM »
Hi Garp,

It may help to include the site where you got it from.
Probably here, Gon

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:28 PM »
Goncalo is correct. That's where it came from.

So can I repeat the question - has anyone tried this base with any recipes on here? (yawns)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:37 PM »
May I also say that this site is littered with people trying previously untried recipes. How can a recipe become tried without someone trying it.

If you guys like, I shall give it a go over the weekend - possibly with an experimental Butter Chicken, plain paratha and crispy onion garnish :)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:29 PM »
May I also say that this site is littered with people trying previously untried recipes. How can a recipe become tried without someone trying it.

If you guys like, I shall give it a go over the weekend - possibly with an experimental Butter Chicken, plain paratha and crispy onion garnish :)

Well, according to yourself you've already made, "a batch or two". So how was it? Any good?

Rob  :) 

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:09 AM »
I thought it was pretty decent, Rob, but since I'm new to all this, I just wondered if anyone else had tried it.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 09:19 AM »
I thought it was pretty decent, Rob, but since I'm new to all this, I just wondered if anyone else had tried it.

Good stuff Garp.  Fairly new to all this myself.  I have made several bases though and am also wary of recipes from relatively unestablished websites. Personally, even without trying this base, I have my doubts. Nothing much about it grabs me as an authentic BIR recipe. I could be wrong of course, but I think your efforts would be better rewarded by first trying a couple of the more proven base recipes on here. There are plenty to chose from.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice Rob - I'm going to give this one a go then maybe try some others.

Have you got any links to some of the most poular?

Thanks,

Garp

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 10:40 AM »
They are all in the Curry Sauce etc. section.  Popular ones include, Zaal, Mouchak, Taz, Chewytikka, CA, and many more.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/board,2.0.html

©2024 Curry Recipes