Author Topic: Kris Dhillon's Chicken Yogurt Curry  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Kris Dhillon's Chicken Yogurt Curry
« on: July 17, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I thought I'd try something other than the usual fare last night, so I gave KD's Chicken Yogurt Curry from The New Curry Secret a try. The only nod to BIR-style was the pre-cooked chicken which, like the rest of the recipe, I made to KD's spec.

I wish I hadn't bothered! Neither my good lady wife nor I enjoyed the curry much at all. The flavours were dull and earthy and there was a dominant bitterness which may have come from the cumin seeds, the turmeric or both. It looked fantastic in the pan and on the plate and there was plenty of sauce just asking to be mopped up by my methi roti and my wife's garlic and coriander naan.

Not even Aussie Mick's pilau rice could save this one! Maybe I cooked it wrongly, or perhaps our tastebuds are too unsophisticated to appreciate the dish or we're too accustomed to BIR-style curries, but, whatever it was, I'm afraid I won't be making this one again.:(

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Kris Dhillon's Chicken Yogurt Curry
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:40 AM »
Earthiness, as you quite rightly say, can come from both turmeric and cumin, but my guess is the turmeric, which changes its flavour quite dramatically when properly cooked.  I will have a look at the recipe later to see if I can offer any suggestions, but without reading it I would be inclined to recommend adding the turmeric earlier or cooking it for longer or both.

** Phil.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 02:42 PM »
I would suggest if you try this recipe again fry the whole spices longer than stated in recipe and use fresh garlic and ginger, the green chillies should have given a little flvour too, because of the amount of yoghurt used and water, the oil has to be the main flavouring in this dish because of no base being used, i have made this dish before it wasn't excellent but it was enjoyable to a certain degree.
Another thing did you use Olive oil?
if so don't next time just use vegetable oil.

It's a shame it came out so bland because it looks absolutely delicious.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 05:24 PM »
Interesting that you identify this dish as being bland, UF, because that certainly reflects my own experience. There was some heat in the dish from the chillies, and I fried the whole spices well into the "popping" stage without burning them. My garlic and ginger pastes came from a jar as I didn't have fresh.

And I definitely didn't use olive oil - I reserve that for Med-style dishes. I know I've seen it recommended by one or two CRO members as well as KD, but I just can't imagine using it in a BIR-style meal because of its distinctive taste.

I like this style of curry every now and again, but I'll give this particular recipe a miss the next time.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 12:55 AM »
I take it Aussie Mick makes a mean pilau rice then?... Just done a quick search for the recipe out of interest but can't seem to find it...

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 07:11 AM »
I take it Aussie Mick makes a mean pilau rice then?... Just done a quick search for the recipe out of interest but can't seem to find it...

It's here Mike

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11192.0.html

W

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 10:56 AM »
I would suggest if you try this recipe again fry the whole spices longer than stated in recipe and use fresh garlic and ginger, the green chillies should have given a little flvour too, because of the amount of yoghurt used and water, the oil has to be the main flavouring in this dish because of no base being used, ...

Excellent information, this makes so much sense  ;)

Cheers,
Ken

©2024 Curry Recipes