Author Topic: Leon Petit's Frithath Curry (very hot)  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Leon Petit's Frithath Curry (very hot)
« on: October 07, 2006, 06:38 PM »
Leon was probably one of the greatest European Chefs in India, and I should imagine now has passed to the great Tandoor in the sky.  He wrote the 'Home Book Of Indian Cookery' in the 1950s and I have a copy; in fact my first Indian cookery book.  This is is his hottest curry, and as he says 'Not many can eat this' only for the faint heated.  I have not tried it as it is not to my taste but friends have and liked it.

Frithath Curry

1 LLB of Lamb or Beef, cubed
2 large onions sliced
2 tablespoons of Ghee or Groundnut or Vegetable oil

Spices

2 tsp Cumin
10 Cloves
10 Green Cardamoms
4 inch Cinnamon stick (not Cassia)
3 inch Turmeric or equivalent in powder
18 Black peppercorns
10 red chillies (very hot ones)

Grind all the spices in vinegar (Rice vinegar is good) to make a paste

2 Tbsp Tamarind Pulp or equivalent in extract

Fry onions on a high heat until they start to catch at the edges, then add the meat, and fry on a medium heat for about a minute to seal the meat.

Add the spice paste and stir until it is dispersed; about 3-4 minutes.

Add more vinegar if needed but do NOT use water or any other liquid

Add tamarind.

Turn to a very low heat.

When the meat is cooked, add salt to taste.  You may need to add a small amount of sugar to balance the acidity.

The rest is up to you ::)

Happy Cooking
C P

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Leon Petit's Frithath Curry (very hot)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Looks cool (its got a hint of the Goan Vindalloo ingredients in there), i might do this DARTHPHALL style  ;D.
25 red birds eye Chilli's & the seeds of 1 Scotch Bonnet (i don't like the savory taste of the chilli itself, i find it overpowering which is a shame because the heat level of these babies is bloody awesome).
If making this dish i would use Chicken instead.
The Vinegar bit puts me off , Ive done Goan style before & found it overpowered the dish, but i think this dish deserves some experimentation, back to the Lab (sorry, Kitchen).
I'll post results when i have done it.
.....DARTHPHALL.....

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 10:45 AM »
Thanks Darth, just remember to use the 'Force' and please remember to notify the local emergency services so they know what to do in case of an emergency 8)  It is reminiscent of Goa but more inland, this guy Leon travelled all over India collecting recipes & methods.
I am not sure about the chicken though as it might just disappear in the process (melt)  ???

Happy Cooking
CP

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 11:06 AM »
I have tried a few different Meats in various Curries & i find for my personal taste,
"Chicken is the only one for me"! ;D
Except when making Sheek Kebabs.
Looking at the recipe also i think using 25 Birds eye Chilli's will drastically change the recipe for the worst as it is so relatively dry, i will substitute them for the Seeds of 1 or more Scotch Bonnets, which will produce heat without altering the overall flavor, I'm looking forward to cooking this.
I made up a blisteringly hot Curry recipe (had no base gravy) a few years ago, it tasted really nice, i forgot all about it until reading this recipe CP.
Amongst the ingredients are three quarters of a container of vindalloo powder & a whole 50g Jar of Chilli powder, i will see if i can dig it out & i will post it on the site. Bloody awesome with some Pitta Breads. ;)
Strange but true the heat in the hot Curries produces its own unique flavor, but its probably due to the fact that the heat drowns out some of the flavors present. :D

.....DARTHPHALL....."Curries from the Darkside"!  8)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 01:15 PM »
I  and the other Jedis await your result and verdict with anticipation; assuming you are still on this planet afterwards Darth  :o

You are right of course about the weird changes and effects of superhot curries; the endorphins they say, but there is something else...... 

My fellow curry fanatics that worked with me on a big projects in London and elsewhere came up with a lunchtime solution.  This was because we were not allowed to drink much.  What we did was to order basic dishes like Bhuna, Madras etc., but not too hot.  Then we would also order a bowl of Vegetable Phall to share.  As we ate we used the Phall much like a pickle.  The benefits were that you still got the 'hit' but were in a suitable condition to return to work afterwords (we did complex IT stuff so needed a functioning brain :o)

Good Luck
CP

Offline Ubergeek

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 08:30 PM »
Tried this one tonight and it tasted good room for improvement though, here is a pic:

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 10:04 AM »
Wow! well done, and certainly will be interested in you improvements UG 8).  Beware, because the dark lord will be chasing you  ;D
CP

©2024 Curry Recipes