Author Topic: UCB BIR Korma  (Read 5524 times)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
UCB BIR Korma
« on: October 08, 2006, 01:45 PM »
This is a BIR recipe using the UCB (Ultimate Curry Base).  Just a point first, triggered by some knowledgeable comments elsewhere.  Korma should not really contain coconut; it originally contained ground almonds, but the BIRs found this hard to get sometimes and too expensive, so we end up as usual with a bastardised version.  Here is one given to me from an Indian chef friend.  It can be used for Lamb or Pork, but this version is better for Chicken

Marinade some chicken (enough for 2 portions) in half teaspoon salt and a slightly watery mix of tomato paste (same for precooked) for 10 minutes.  You need enough to give the chicken a slightly pink finish. Some chefs also add a splash of lemon juice here.

Heat about half a cup of oil or Ghee in a pan to smoking.

If the chicken is raw add this to the oil and stir fry for about 2 minutes
OR
Add about 1/2 cup UCB (for two portions) and continue to stir fry for 2 minutes
THEN
If you are using precooked Chicken, add it here and fry for a minute

Mix in a half a cup of ground almonds (or powdered coconut if you prefer) and fry for 30 seconds
THEN
Add (up to a maximum of) a small tin of Carnation evaporated milk and stir on high heat until it has deduced by about a third (use your own judgement on sauce consistency from start to finish).

Add salt and a little ground black pepper to taste

Leave to rest for about 5 minutes in a warm (not hot) oven, and then serve.

Cooking time should take about 5 minutes max for precooked, and 10 minutes for raw.  The standing time completes the cooking process

Notes;
You need to use high heat from the start and only reduce it after you have added the final seasoning; remember this is a BIR recipe, and stir all the time.

You can allow the sauce to stick a little as this will increase the flavour, but do stir it off a fter is starts to stick.

You will need to adjust the times to suit for pre-cooked or raw chicken, you need to take care here because Chicken toughens very quickly.  I do not recommend using Chicken on the bone.

The black pepper is optional but if used sparingly it will add that special flavour, it is in effect the GM for this dish.

You can add one or two crushed green Cardamoms to the hot oil initially.

Play around (as I am sure you will) with this recipe; it is very simple and very forgiving to the cook!

Happy Cooking
CP

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: UCB BIR Korma
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 09:45 PM »
CP

Thank you for posting this recipe, which I look forward to trying.

>Korma should not really contain coconut

Ah, maybe not authentic kormas or indeed some BIR kormas but many, many BIR menus specifically mention coconut in their description for korma dishes.

Regards
George

©2024 Curry Recipes