Author Topic: 80 Litres of Taz Base Sauce  (Read 4297 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
80 Litres of Taz Base Sauce
« on: July 26, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Hi All,

Haven't been around for a while due to personal circumstances, but am glad to have found this forum now it has moved. Thanks for letting everyone know Stew!!!

Over the summer period when all the normal students go home, they have the international language students come in for the summer and I was called upon to cook Indian for 1400 language students one day.

I started 2 days earlier making 80 litres of base sauce, (see pictures below) and then made Chicken Korma, Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Madras. Unfortunately I was too busy to take pictures of the final curries, but will post some pictures of bulk curries I have made at the UNi previously at a later date.

Everyone enjoyed the food and remarked on how authentic it tasted being in such bulk. It really is not that difficult to create bulk base sauce and curries, you just have to experiment a little with the spices.

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 80 Litres of Taz Base Sauce
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 03:09 PM »
Hi 976bar,

Wow, what a challenge.  What type of cookware is that you are using to make the base gravy ?

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 05:24 PM »
My goodness 976 that is just a crazy amount but of course I know from previous posts that you were getting cooking in bulk pretty much down to a fine art. I take it cooking for one or two will now be like making cheese on toast?

Seriously I want to ask has this job increased your interest in cooking at home or now that you are a pro has it affected your interest negatively?

Either way that is some serious looking Taz base and great pics to boot.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Hi 976bar,

Wow, what a challenge.  What type of cookware is that you are using to make the base gravy ?

Hi RShome,

The equipment used was a 200 litre "Brat Pan" which is found in a lot of commercial Kitchens.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 06:16 PM »
My goodness 976 that is just a crazy amount but of course I know from previous posts that you were getting cooking in bulk pretty much down to a fine art. I take it cooking for one or two will now be like making cheese on toast?

Seriously I want to ask has this job increased your interest in cooking at home or now that you are a pro has it affected your interest negatively?

Either way that is some serious looking Taz base and great pics to boot.

Hi Stephen,

Long time no speak, I hope you are keeping well.

Having cooked quite a lot of curry in this kitchen has made me want to do more, but I find myself now when I am at home experimenting more with not only other types of Indian dishes but through my partner am now cooking a lot more vegetarian stuff, practicing with Spanish Tapas, and giving thought to a new line of Pies.... yes Indian Pies which I think would go down well at street food festivals etc etc...

Its just an idea that my partner and I are working on along with a few other things to eventually start out on our own at some time.

That is when I am not working all over Europe which is what I am doing right now in the security industry. Doesn't leave me a great deal of time, but still chipping away :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 10:26 PM »
Good to hear from you Sir! Well Dundee where I am from, is home to the pie. In fact as a term of insult the rest of Scotland calls us "pie eaters". Curry pies are quite common here so you could be onto something.

As for tapas well I cook them occasionally and indeed the idea of Asian tapas is becoming quite fashionable.

Curry on!

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Hi 976

Out of curiosity do you still use Taz's base? If so whay did you choose that particular one?

Ed

©2024 Curry Recipes