Author Topic: Home made Tandoori oven  (Read 4427 times)

Offline greerbandb

• Chef
    • View Profile
Home made Tandoori oven
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:18 AM »
 :)  Hi Guys,

Just to gloat really (shouldn't before I start using it) I have been busy making a BBQ Tandoori and Pizza Oven combination, I wanted to wait till I finished everything before I used them, But I couldn't wait. Tonight I am going to use the Tandoori oven for the first time proper. I will put pictures on. Then I will tell you how I made it.

Surprisingly easy (construction) but hard work making them

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Home made Tandoori oven
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 08:48 AM »
look forward to hearing about it!

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 09:15 AM »
Thanks for posting this, I'm considering making my own as well. How much did you spent on it so far and where did you source your materials from?

Thanks

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 08:51 PM »
A step by step guide would be great, It's also something I am thinking of doing.

Cheers,
Ken

Offline greerbandb

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, as you can see by my newly posted pictures the craftsmanship was not great but it is quite a sizeable structure.

I had the bricks/pavers lying around from the person I bought the house from.

I bought a brickey mate from seeing the adverts on tv channels and thought that would help, it did in a way I learnt the thickness of mortar which needs to go on each layer.

I used a ton of sand and 10 bags of concrete for the main part.(after the base was levelled) I would however suggest if like me in hindsight just to buy the ready mortar mix for brickwork - much easier right consistency- unless you know what you are doing.

1-I had levelled the site out first hard-core impacted down
2- I made a base with wood I then added mortar mix with hard-core and some steel rods to give it strength, then me and the wife levelled it as well as we could
3 - let it dry for 5 days
4- then I started to build up the courses of the walls.

Each part had their unique problems, I never used specific dimensions I just looked online to see how others did it, using YouTube videos

I will elaborate on each separately in my next posts, but well worth the work, as it will last years! :)

Offline greerbandb

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 04:17 PM »
This picture shows the form/former whatever it is called to make the arches just a  two crude wooden bits of chipboard joined together by a brick length of wood slats/offcuts

Offline greerbandb

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:46 PM »
This is the tandoori oven, it was built in this shape to accommodate the size of the area left to me after doing the base of the pizza oven.

I started to build a couple of layers of bricks, leaving the front with a 50 cm gap to let air in to the fire and assist cleaning.

I stood the bricks on their ends as you can see. inside I used 10-11 fire bricks also on their ends and cemented into place with fire cement ( big bag of it from jewsons) on top of this - yes you don't believe me- a rhubarb forcer from the local garden centre ( hence the lid you can see)

I then built the walls round it up to the height I wanted. I then filled around the forcer with a big bag of vermiculite which was mixed by had with concrete, (apparently don't use a mixer for this!)

On top of this I put a good layer of cement which had some of that dye in it, you will also note I slopped the concrete on the top and left a gap at the back to let heavy rainfall come off. the rhubarb forcer lid will have to go indoors over winter and some other lid in its place.

I also had a wire for woks to stand on electric cookers which fits great over the hole and it really cooks / heats the wok

©2024 Curry Recipes