Author Topic: Chicken madras with mango?  (Read 17889 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Chicken madras with mango?
« on: August 05, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Be interested to hear peoples' thought on mango used to make a curry.  Particularly, the mighty BIR madras.  Anyone come across mango as an ingredient in a madras, or other curry (apart from the obvious, e.g. Mango chicken)?  Not mango chutney. The reason I ask is that I had a restaurant TA recently.  First time order.  The mains were chicken madras and chicken naga bhuna.  A nice little chef tester.  Initially  a tad disappointed with the madras, as I felt there was too much lemon (dressing), so let it cool down and popped it in the fridge to have the next day.  The naga bhuna was very, very good. In fact, exceptional quality.  There was mango in it for sure.  Not sweet chutney.  I'm guessing canned pulp, or blended slices.  The flavour balance with the naga was something very special. 

Anyhoo, next day the madras was warmed up.  The overly sharp lemon had subsided somehow.  This madras tasted really nice, and the mango was also evident here.  Was it better than, say, Chewy's madras?  Well no, not really, both top notch dishes; just different.  This wasn't I didn't feel cross-over mango (i.e the chef using the same pan to make both dishes).  The level was very noticeable.  There was also mango in the mint dip. Could perhaps be the chef's "signature" approach to cooking. I'll be doing a bit of experimentation on this front.  I should also be able to get access to the restaurant kitchen to see what goes on. Finger's crossed. Here's a pic of the madras:

Look's quite good doesn't it?

Rob  :)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken madras with mango?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 01:47 PM »
I've never come across anything perceivable as mango chutney in a curry sauce, nor even a subtle taste. However, I've used some mango chutney back in january (evidence found here) and I loved it. However, it's very easy to over-do. Although I wrote a TSP, in hindsight, I think may have used slightly more than a tsp.

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:38 PM »
I regularly add Mango (chutney) to tomato based curries, such as Madras, as I find they need a little balance from the bitterness of methi and lemon juice.

I made Chewy's Madras for the first time a few weeks ago and with a heaped teaspoon of Mango chutney, it turned out amazing.

Don't know about plain Mango, but I can imagine the smooth texture would be pleasing to chew on in a BIR curry.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 02:45 PM »
I've never come across anything perceivable as mango chutney in a curry sauce, nor even a subtle taste. However, I've used some mango chutney back in january (evidence found here) and I loved it. However, it's very easy to over-do. Although I wrote a TSP, in hindsight, I think may have used slightly more than a tsp.

Have tried mango chutney in a madras before following Dan Toombs' recipe.  But no obvious chutney in the madras shown here.  Real mango fruit taste. Not overly sweet either.  A hint of sweetness, plenty of sour.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 04:09 PM »
1. Big Drums (always Blue, any Brand) of sweet Mild Mango Chutney
2. Big tins of Kesar Mango Pulp
3. 400g tins of Mango Slices
All used in various recipes (Curries and Sauces) in my restaurants.

A very good flavour combo to try is 2tsp Mango Chutney, 2tsp Pataks Balti Paste 1tsp Mr Naga.

cheers Chewy

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 06:37 PM »
Thanks for those Mike.  Will try out shorty.  Any ideas for a combo involving Patak's madras kebab paste?  Do like this one and had some success using it by itself in the past.  Cheers.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:22 AM »
I have made this but using mango pulp instead of chutney

http://www.greatcurryrecipes.net/2012/01/22/how-to-make-chicken-madras-a-curry-house-favourite/

Fruity is the word.

I have made a Cocktail Chicken Madras for  friend who asked me to do something different, so out came the tin of fruit cocktail http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258556632

He and his misses loved it wasn't really my kind of dish but i did eat my helping, i also used Chicken Tikka when i made it.

Right at the end of Undercover Curry book there is a recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala using tinned fruit cocktail blended, tried this too it's not like anything i have tried local to me but it is well worth giving it a go for something unusual from the normal Chicken Tikka Masala.

Bengali Bob you should really take a look at this site http://www.cook4one.co.uk/c2/index.html

This is the Mango pulp i use http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/tinned_fruit/natco_mango_pulp_sweet_alphonso_450g.html

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 11:09 AM »
Thanks Frank. Which are the mango recipes on the Cook4one site?  Can't find any. Got these similar tins the other day.  Look OK.  Reckon I'll try making a Mango chicken.  Might have the slices as a pudding as well.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 11:07 PM »
Went with the madras and mango earlier this evening.  Very pleased.  Texture nailed;  straightforward minimal sep/floc.  Colour; not bad.  Taste; significantly better than the restaurant. No lemon overload either.

Chewy's madras sauce recipe strikes again.

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 12:27 AM »
Nice Bob.  Just to clarify... What form of mango?

©2024 Curry Recipes