Author Topic: Chicken madras with mango?  (Read 17893 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken madras with mango?
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 08:54 AM »
Nice Bob.  Just to clarify... What form of mango?

Pulp.  Quite a bit.  I'll post a few more pics in the picie section later on. 

Just looking through the menu for this restaurant and the chef does seem to like his mango.  There's an Aam Chicken starter (fresh pieces of chicken seasoned with spices, cooked in a mango sauce). In the Chef's Recommendations there's a Chicken Meva (chicken cooked with mango and lychee fruits in a mild and spicy sauce).  Ooh, hang on, Sizzler Selection.  Sylheti Jalfrezi (diced chicken cooked with onions, capsicum and chillies, in a an achari (pickle) sauce.  That sounds promising.

Rob  :)

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 05:10 PM »
Large tins of KTC Mango pulp on special offer at Morrisons.... ?1 each.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Had another TA from the restaurant.

Sylhetti Jalfrezi, Chicken Vindaloo, Tandoori Platter, and Egg Fried Rice.

Chicken Vindaloo

Awesome! Hang on a minute.  This looks familiar.

Ooh look what I've found!  There's a spud in it.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 05:11 PM »
What distinguishes this jalfrezi as sylheti? I've searched it up as soon as I've read your comments earlier in this thread, seeing as the shatkora is grown in sylhet (and also where most bengal chefs came from) so I was intrigued to find out what made it different, but the descriptions on the various menus do nothing to highlight what's so special about it. Look forward to hear your thoughts about it Rob :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 02:36 PM »
What distinguishes this jalfrezi as sylheti? I've searched it up as soon as I've read your comments earlier in this thread, seeing as the shatkora is grown in sylhet (and also where most bengal chefs came from) so I was intrigued to find out what made it different, but the descriptions on the various menus do nothing to highlight what's so special about it. Look forward to hear your thoughts about it Rob :)

Not sure as yet goncalo.  Could be one of those names just to entice the customer.  So Sylhetti Jalfrezi sounds more interesting than Chicken Jalfrezi perhaps.  It is the only jalfer on the menu.  Was good though with the mango pickle.  Very nice touch.  Also mango pulp in it judging by the background sweetness and colour.  It's not so bad dishes looking a bit similar I suppose providing that they don't all taste the same.  He is mad on mango this chef though.  The tandoori platter came garnished with fried onions, and I swear he had also mixed some pulp into these!

Just remembered one chef I know has mentioned a Bangladeshi jalfrezi.  I shall ask him.

There is this by Dan Toombes.

http://www.greatcurryrecipes.net/2011/06/09/how-to-make-a-traditional-indian-chicken-jalfrezi/

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 07:02 PM »

http://www.greatcurryrecipes.net/2011/06/09/how-to-make-a-traditional-indian-chicken-jalfrezi/

Have you tried it Bob? As I am short of base, I am a little too keen on trying it out.

It asks for 2 tbsp of garam masala  :o
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:14 PM by goncalo »

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 08:50 PM »

Have you tried it Bob? As I am short of base, I am a little too keen on trying it out.

It asks for 2 tbsp of garam masala  :o

Hi goncalo. No, not tried Dan's recipe.  Here is a pic of the restaurant Sylhetti Jalfezi.

Not exaacty sure, but I think if was trying to reproduce this I'd start with a standard BIR recipe, add some blended mango pickle (Ahmed or Shezan brand), a little mango pulp, some juice, a couple of extra green chillies, and some soy sauce.  Possibly a little chat masala or amchoor.  Reckon this wouldn't be far off. 

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 08:08 AM »
I had a go at making the Syhletti Jalfer last night.  Came out pretty good, but there was something missing. It wasn't really the taste, which was great, more the overall feel/texture of the dish.  I remember when I had this from the restaurant it didn't seem like an average BIR jalfrezi.  I thought it had a noticeable Chinese food feel to it, if that makes any sense.  In the picture above the dish looks quite oily, but it was in fact quite light.  So, it's not a puddle of separated oil, bottom left, for example.  More like a juice, or another sauce.  Does anyone know how this is made/done?  I have never attempted to cook a Chinese meal.  Is it perhaps an effect of cooking with a wok, or is a different type of light oil used or something? Very nice effect, would like to be able to reproduce this at home.

Will post a couple of pics of my effort in the piccy section later.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 12:54 PM »
Thanks for the additional info/pic. How much of the mango pulp would you use in a vindaloo and at what stage would you add it?

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 08:59 AM »
Thanks for the additional info/pic. How much of the mango pulp would you use in a vindaloo and at what stage would you add it?

Oops.  Forgot to answer your question goncalo. I think I put a good 2 cs in a madras; probably start with that for a vinders.  Added soon after the first ladle of base gravy.

Just been looking back at the Syletti Jalfer when I first mentioned it.  It was on the sizzler menu!  Wonder what's gone on?  No way that saucy curry was going on a sizzler.

©2024 Curry Recipes